587,311 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I want to be like MIKE

Accuratemike that is!

Hello to everyone. I have been lurking for some time now gathering info and looking over everyones projects. I am AMAZED at some of the machines on this site :cheers:

Anyway I want to build a plasma table for CHEAP and so far Mikes seems to fit the bill. Not saying anything bad about your table Mike.

I am looking at building one that will handle a 4x4 piece of plate. Mike what made you decide on the 30x30 table? Free drops at the local steel dealer,free space in the shop?

So beside the iron works and the plasma torch, what else do I need to add to my list of CHEAP needs? My table will be basically used for the same thing as Mikes was designed for, brkts and multiples of a common design. High tolerances arnt really an issue, I am just looking for the ease of making multiple pieces.

So give me yalls thoughts on building a CHEAP table.

Thanks for your thoughts

Shew ! Thanks ! I went 30"x30" because I used 3' threaded rods. I thought that $54 for a 6' chunk of precision Acme rod was alot of money. I have since found cheaper sources, and learned that the rods were only a teeny part of the whole thing. There was about 6" of mounts, couplings and nuts, leaving me with 30" of useable travel. If I had it to do again, I'd go 4' (or maybe 5') in one direction so I could load full width sheets. I would make the other axis have low sides on the table so a sheet could be slid through (and maybe indexed so I could cut longer than my travel in one direction). I work around by clamping full width sheets to the underside of the table and use jog to cut them to a managable length/width. The table works VERY well for my needs. I am going to a REAL shop tomorrow to help the owner design his own, he liked mine too. We may use bearings instead of ball transfers, but otherwise about the same. I like my Xlotex driver board, Clickautomation steppers, TurboCNC and would recommend them. Good luck, and don't get discouraged, I love using mine, now that it is done. Enjoy, MIKE