587,534 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > ID this machine please

ID this machine please

I know the picture is not good but can anyone tell what model this machine is? I am going to look at it Friday if it is not sold before then. The owner does not know much about it they had been using it manually and now the manual control is broken I can buy this really cheap and I am wondering how old it may be and what size the spindle motor is?

If I buy it I would look into rebuilding the control or replacing it. How tall are these machines? Can it be broken down easily to fit under a garage door with a max height of 82"? Once through my 82" shop door I have a 10' ceiling. Would it hurt a machine with say a 15HP motor to change that motor to 5HP I do not have enough electrical service to run a 15 HP motor and I plan to machine aluminum with it. How much would a 5 HP motor cost? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I have been looking for a smaller machine but this one is about scrap metal price so I want to look into it. It has a Fadal 88 control. Could the control be sent somewhere to be rebuilt and if so is that expensive?

Thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fadal.jpg  

Wasino maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    Wasino maybe?
    Are you saying it is not a Fadal or is Wasino the model name of the Fadal? The spindle looks like it has the Fadal blue stripe I see on the ones I have seen. The owner said it was a Fadal if not I will probably pass on it. I know Fadal has a very good reputation and the owner says it is in very good condition other than the control problem.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gundawg View Post
    Are you saying it is not a Fadal or is Wasino the model name of the Fadal? The spindle looks like it has the Fadal blue stripe I see on the ones I have seen. The owner said it was a Fadal if not I will probably pass on it. I know Fadal has a very good reputation and the owner says it is in very good condition other than the control problem.

Mike
    Sorry, disregard that. Was on my phone and didnt get a good look...I do see the blue stripe now.

That is a very early fadal! (1984-1986) DC motors and dont worry about swapping motors your circuit breaker will know when to shut you down.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    That is a very early fadal! (1984-1986) DC motors and dont worry about swapping motors your circuit breaker will know when to shut you down.

Is that bad? Should I not look at this machine? I do not want something that is slow or that repair parts are not available for. I do not have enough electrical service to run a real big machine as I have other machines that will be running in the shop with a 100 amp service.

Thanks Mike

If it is mechanically good and cheap to buy. It is a great deal for a retrofit project.
    Parts are easy to get.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    If it is mechanically good and cheap to buy. It is a great deal for a retrofit project.
    Parts are easy to get.
    Any idea of what that would cost? I would imagine I would need to hire some of the work done to at least check the whole system working I could do the physical labor of changing parts but then I would probably need a pro to get it all working.

I have been looking for a machine and plan to spend no more than $15-$20K if this machine will need more work than that I would just as soon skip it and keep looking. I understand I need to check the physical portion of the machine to make sure the ways and ball screws are not too worn. I just want to know if everything checks out if it would be a good buy and what it would be worth after the retrofit if I decided to sell it.

Mike

That machine is a Fadal VMC40. It was produced between 1982 to approximately 1985 or 86. Then the sheet metal was chaged to the white enclosed open top style.

Neal

I think I really blew it on this one it sold I could not get off work until Friday to go see it I work 12 hour shifts. I know of one more Fadal that is not for sale until Nov maybe I will end up with that one.

Mike

Talking No...

Quote Originally Posted by Gundawg View Post
    I think I really blew it on this one it sold I could not get off work until Friday to go see it I work 12 hour shifts. I know of one more Fadal that is not for sale until Nov maybe I will end up with that one.

Mike
    I don't think you blew it, I think most likely it was overpriced for the year of machine.
    Go to the EBay site and search Fadals, there are a number of machines in your price range. As far as power supply, you can buy single phase transformers for about 600 to 800 bucks. that way you to run them at home. 40 amps is about right for the breaker if I recall correctly.

Getting it in the garage shop is doable, We pulled the z axis motor and cut a slot n the beam on a two car garage door ( later bolted a 1/4 steel plate accross the slot) and got it in.

Here's an example of what's currently on EBay:
    1996 Fadal VMC 2216 | eBay

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
    I don't think you blew it, I think most likely it was overpriced for the year of machine.
    Go to the EBay site and search Fadals, there are a number of machines in your price range. As far as power supply, you can buy single phase transformers for about 600 to 800 bucks. that way you to run them at home. 40 amps is about right for the breaker if I recall correctly.

Getting it in the garage shop is doable, We pulled the z axis motor and cut a slot n the beam on a two car garage door ( later bolted a 1/4 steel plate accross the slot) and got it in.

Here's an example of what's currently on EBay:
    1996 Fadal VMC 2216 | eBay

Steve
    The one I posted was $2K and the guy said make an offer and it also had a 4th Axis I just could not get off work to go see it in time before it sold.