587,837 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Identify this measuring tool!

Hybrid View

Identify this measuring tool!

When my Dad (a serious pack rat) passed away a few years ago, among his tools I found a number of antique measuring and layout tools, as well as a few journeyman projects. This example is my favorite and I wondered if anyone else has encountered a similar example.

The tool is some form of early caliper. Stamped on the rear is a name and patent date, "A. E. Whitmore", 1869... see the last photo. A google search reveals a Remington firearms designer as being the likely creator.

Photo 1 - the caliper is of high quality and has some of the finest convex instrument knurling that I have ever seen. The jaw to the right is moveable, while the jaw to the left has a very short range of 0.025", actuated via the knurled adjustment on the left. To use the caliper, the right jaw is positioned first, and the left jaw then does the final, finer movement. The jaws themselves are hemispheres for internal (bores) and external measurement. The jaws are stepped, with the major OD being 0.400", and at the tip, 0.200"

Photo 2 - On the spine of the body are a series of precision notches. When the right jaw is positioned and then tightened, that jaw is locked in place via these notches, spaced every 0.025". Note the micrometer barrel on the left jaw.

Photo 3 - The name and patent date.

I was excited to find that "A. E. Whitmore" was an early gunsmith. 1869 was in the heart of the era when firearms were beginning to be mass-produced with interchangeable parts, rather than hand-fitted. Like many old measuring tools, this caliper has a fit and finish, and overall feel, that is very pleasing.

Again, has anyone seen anything similar, or does anyone know more about Whitmore?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails calip01.jpg   calip02.jpg   calip04.jpg  

Not really any info, but has a photo of a similar set of 'calipers'.

http://www.adamspat.com/pdf/AR%201999-1.pdf

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=...526RS=PN/93026

For some reason, I can't view the images, but maybe you can.

Wow, thank you! That patent drawing is exactly what I have. The .PDF file says an "example" of this caliper was offered for $5,500!!! I don't know if that is for the prototype, or something special, but it obviously has a bit of value. COOL! :banana: :cheers:

How did you determine the patent number of 93,026? I tried a name search but came up blank.

Again, thanks for looking it up. Oh yes, the image is a TIFF, as are all of the other patents. A "plug-in" for your browser is required.

Wow Swede, that is so cool, I am very happy for you that you still have it, here is a link to the actual patent drawings, and additional informarion, it was called a registering calipers, the internet is a wonderful thing
    http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...y=4C48678E9E6C

Thats no measuring tool, it's a bumper bracket from a 72 Volvo wagon. Nice try Swede

LOL

cool tool.

You want to hear a horrible story, here goes. My grand dad was a machinist for Union Pacific railroad, died in 75 from an MI (I LOVED that guy), he had a HUGE chest of tools, I was a young-in and was unaware when my aunt sold said tools at a yard sale for .......5 FRIGGIN DOLLARS! I have had a deep, deep hate for her ever since.

I'm glad to hear someone had em passed down like it's supposed to be.

I believe that is an inside micrometer. I have one form starrett which is not as old as the one shown. Nice piece. The reaon I think it is an inside micrometer and not a pair of clipers, is due to the shape on the contacts being rounded. Calipers have flat thin contacts.

TAB, did early calipers also feature thin blade jaws? The measuring scale seems to directly measure OD. There is no reason that it cannot do both ID and OD with a bit of math. The round jaws measure 0.199" and 0.399", diameter when closed, obviously a bit of wear from 0.200" and 0.400"

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1
    Thats no measuring tool, it's a bumper bracket from a 72 Volvo wagon. Nice try Swede

LOL

cool tool.

You want to hear a horrible story, here goes. My grand dad was a machinist for Union Pacific railroad, died in 75 from an MI (I LOVED that guy), he had a HUGE chest of tools, I was a young-in and was unaware when my aunt sold said tools at a yard sale for .......5 FRIGGIN DOLLARS! I have had a deep, deep hate for her ever since.

I'm glad to hear someone had em passed down like it's supposed to be.

OMG.
    I can almost feel your pain.

Konstantin.