587,482 active members*
2,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

If I hadn't gotten a Tormach....

I am looking at getting a Tormach 1100, I am in love with all the attachments but want to be sure before I dump the $20K on it. For those of you who are already owners, do you find yourself satisfied with what you have, or wishing for something just a little better / different and if so what is it you are looking at?

I would like to get into a CNC mill / lathe but I have no idea what I am doing. I have a bit of ADHD so I tinker with a little of everything and love waking up some days and thinking, I am going to build something!

I love taking on everyday problems and finding a new solution, or just rethinking an old solution to make it better, cheaper, or more available.

I need a mill that gives me the flexibility to do small runs when I have an idea so I can prototype and check market interest before I outsource production. I am always amazed when I get on youtube and see the cool swiss type lathes and multi axis mills and the flexibility that would give in bringing ideas to life but of course am not ready to plunk down a couple hundred thousand on one.

I am looking for a mill that can take on a 4th / 5th axis so I can cut gears, threads, adapters. I will be building enclosures for electronics, cases, tooth models, prototyping things... I would like to learn how to cut molds for injection molding, castings, even gunsmithing maybe someday. Plan on me wanting to cut just about everything to be safe, because chances are I will

So far the Tormach 1100 seems to have all that I need with the optional tilting 4th axis, mini lathe, touch probes, 3d scanner attachment and other stuff, but I don't want to buy it and find out I bought some piece of crap like I would have gotten from Harbor Freight, not that I don't buy stuff there sometimes, but not this.

I would like it to be well built, not the size and weight of a car while still able to do an acceptable sized object, automatic tool changer, usb connection, touch probe / scanner, lathe / 4th axis, auto scock feed would be amazing but not required. So far I have seen the Shop Master, Syil, Tormach.

I have a flexible budget but don't want to waste money on things I don't need (industrial), but really don't want to end up with a machine that only does 75% of what I need and isn't upgradeable (hobbyist) and I have to get a whole new one to finish the project.

Welcome,

I would recommend spending some time going through the many posts in this forum asking the same questions.

I have 2 1100's, a Series I and a Series II. Run the heck out of them. One of the better investments I ever made.

The only thing I'd skip on your list is the Mini Lathe. Wait on the upcoming Tormach lathe.

I bought a 770 back in october and I love it. I am a full time machinist and I run normal size industrial cnc machines and I still love my little Tormach. I did lots of research before I bought it, it took me about a year to finally decide on what machine. Great company with a great machine, get it just know its limits. Good luck.

I bought a 770 last July and am getting a lot of mileage out of it. I make a lot of molds in Renshape modeling board for castings, done some aluminum and brass, and just milled fixture pockets into a dozen pieces of crown molding last week--my first time using it with wood. It's a sweet machine and ideal for the prototyping work I do. Positional repeatability is usually less than a thou if I'm careful, and surface finishes are very clean.

I chose the 770 over the 1100 because I mostly use small diameter cutters and the 10K spindle RPM speed is important. The smaller work envelope and spindle HP hasn't been an issue.

My favorite accessories have turned out to be:
    1. Haimer zero master analog -- quick and precise
    2. Power drawbar -- big timesaver
    2. 4th axis--when you need it you have to have it

For software I use Autodesk Inventor and SprutCAM. It's actually an excellent combination, though the workflows are not well documented. Mach3 is a bit primitive but it gets the job done--once it teaches you to avoid the quirks.

When you budget for the machine, don't forget to leave a chuck for cutters. I never buy fewer than 2 of any kind because I hate to be trying to finish up some evening and break one of the things. I've got a few thousand into cutters and love having a broad selection to choose from.

It's hard to find someone who regrets buying a Tormach; great company too.