588,084 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > IGNORE HOLES? (V25)

IGNORE HOLES? (V25)

How do you guys Ignore Holes with BobCad? I am using equidistant offset and the ignore holes feature doesn't work, guessing because it is a model it don't see the holes as holes, so how do you stop bobcad from wanting to dip down in them?

I'd use Untrim to "pave over" the holes before selecting the geometry.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

If the hole is at a flat bottom of the part (which I suspect it isn't), you can set the bottom of job to a value that prevents this as well. Otherwise I'd go with Luke's suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    I'd use Untrim to "pave over" the holes before selecting the geometry.

Luke
    If you have time could you do a video of this function? not having any luck with pave over.

Thanks
    RAF

Untrim only works if the top of the part is flat, or at least some part of it. If you have a contoured surface with holes in it this doesn't work. And same with ignore holes in the feature. Even if the hole is smaller then the ball em it will try and dive in as far as it can.

You can always do a multi sided skin if untrim won't work.Just put it on its on layer so you turn on/off.

bobcad guy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pp-TG View Post
    How do you guys Ignore Holes with BobCad? I am using equidistant offset and the ignore holes feature doesn't work, guessing because it is a model it don't see the holes as holes, so how do you stop bobcad from wanting to dip down in them?
    I had this issue many times, I used to add a new layer and put a skin over the holes. A lot of times I would have to break the hole into 3 evqual segments, then use the 3 sided surface feature. I then would turn on my "patch" layer to pick the model for the surfacing feature, and turn it off to pick the holes when I was ready to cut them

Posting a file would help to answer a specific question....

Quote Originally Posted by bobcad guy View Post
    I had this issue many times, I used to add a new layer and put a skin over the holes. A lot of times I would have to break the hole into 3 evqual segments, then use the 3 sided surface feature. I then would turn on my "patch" layer to pick the model for the surfacing feature, and turn it off to pick the holes when I was ready to cut them
    Thanks Bobcad guy, Tried this didn't seem to work but sure it is something I am doing. Are other software freed up so took care of it there but would still like to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Posting a file would help to answer a specific question....
    The part I was working on I can't but will try and model a sample of what I was trying to do because I would like to get something that works for this, as it is something we deal with a lot.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions! Much appreciated.

I do as jrmach suggests and extract the edge of the hole and put it on my "patch" layer. But that is a last resort, first I would request from my customer a "no holes" version of the model. My biggest customers use SW so I can suppress the holes myself most of the time. The last job I did that I had this problem with was a Catia file and was too complex to patch over. I called the customer and he had me a new file in 5 minutes.

I do hate to bother them for anything if they have otherwise given me everything necessary to do the job but cooperation is the name of the game. They really don't want to pay my hourly rate to fiddle with something that takes no time for them to do.

Sometimes it's also just as effective as sketching a rectangle or circle over the area and making a simple planar surface. Just below the surface. It really doesn't need to be that exact most of the time unless you're very anal (like I am ), just enough to keep the tool from dipping down in there.

The part I was working on I can't .
    Does this model represent anything about it for you?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    I do as jrmach suggests and extract the edge of the hole and put it on my "patch" layer. But that is a last resort, first I would request from my customer a "no holes" version of the model. My biggest customers use SW so I can suppress the holes myself most of the time. The last job I did that I had this problem with was a Catia file and was too complex to patch over. I called the customer and he had me a new file in 5 minutes.

I do hate to bother them for anything if they have otherwise given me everything necessary to do the job but cooperation is the name of the game. They really don't want to pay my hourly rate to fiddle with something that takes no time for them to do.

Sometimes it's also just as effective as sketching a rectangle or circle over the area and making a simple planar surface. Just below the surface. It really doesn't need to be that exact most of the time unless you're very anal (like I am ), just enough to keep the tool from dipping down in there.
    Yes, If I get the SW file that is always easy. The problem with some are they are igs and not so easy to deal with. The one I started the thread over was an igs and the worst part is my customer had the SW file but didn't want to send it for some reason........Some people just don't want you to have their tree I guess?

Does this model represent anything about it for you?
    Not sure You must be on V26 and I only have 25.

Yes, If I get the SW file that is always easy. The problem with some are they are igs and not so easy to deal with. The one I started the thread over was an igs and the worst part is my customer had the SW file but didn't want to send it for some reason........Some people just don't want you to have their tree I guess?

Not sure You must be on V26 and I only have 25.
    Here's the file in V25... With a neutral iges.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's the file in V25... With a neutral iges.
    Thanks BurrMan,

At a glance it looks like it did avoid the hole in this example. I will have to see what I have going on, it looks like I set everything the same but don't get the avoidance. Could it be the difference of a thru hole to blind?

. I will have to see what I have going on, it looks like I set everything the same but don't get the avoidance. Could it be the difference of a thru hole to blind?
    Hard to say. I would guess it's the difference between a "true arc" hole and a spline hole. But I more wanted to get into the un trimming and filling thing. Does that file represent what your dealing with? (like we could untrim the little recessed divots or whatnot, to fill them)