587,249 active members*
3,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 7 123

I'm in... another Joe2006 machine

I couldn't stand it. With all the compliments and pictures of Joes2006 machine, I have to give it a try. Joe is cutting out my HDPE parts and I'm working on the mdf ones. I think I have most of my hardware parts in but had problems finding the right size ubolts. Just ordered the ubolts from Amazon.com (thanks David). Have completed the bearing assemblies and have cut a few of the mdf parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3143a.jpg   100_3144a.jpg   100_3420a.jpg   100_3423a.jpg  

That is a pretty nice looking machine you have already.

Yeah, ditto to that. Is that the sosy 3 plan design? I purchased it awhile back but liked Joe's table assembly better and the way the gantry was above the table. Loading the pieces in there seems akward to me, seems more useful to have the slides at the same level as the table and the gantry above. But that's just me. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build. I hope more people come forward, there are many more people with Joe's parts that aren't posting them!

Yes, this is David Steele's Sosylva plan. It is just to slow for me. A person that knows what he he is doing could probably get more speed out of it. I can jog it around the table @50 ipm all day long but when I actually run a program it loses steps if it goes over 15 ipm. It is very accurate at the 15 ipm. I cut 3/4" mdf in 3 passes and you just about need a magnifying glass to see where each different depth of cut is made. Very smooth. After I kinda learn what I am doing I might try working on the speed again. If the Joes20006 works like I hope it does, maybe I won't have to work on the Sosylva model any more. At one time I had the Sosylva air cutting @60 ipm but it vibrated excessively I slowed the speed. It was not loseing any steps but just vibrating excessively. I'm hoping Joes2006 machine is going to be a vast improvement.

Getting a few more parts cut out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3139a.jpg   100_3586a.jpg  

DougO - I have the same machine you do. I just completed the build a couple of weeks ago and am still learning and tweeking the setup. I hope you continue to update this because I built mine with the same idea in mind. Build the one I have to learn and use it to build a better one.

Dwayne

Looks good so far, let me know if you need any help with anything, ie. depths of cuts or anything else.

It always does not hurt to have two machines... lol

joe

Thought I would try some pattern cutting with some of the multiple parts and looking very good right now. Much faster than the cnc cutting them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3577a.jpg   100_3597a.jpg  

More parts cut. Pattern cutting is the way to go for me with my setup. Don't know how many more parts I can do this on though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3579a.jpg   100_3580a.jpg   100_3582a.jpg  

what kind of hold down are you using when cutting these parts?

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    More parts cut. Pattern cutting is the way to go for me with my setup. Don't know how many more parts I can do this on though.
    Looks good so far, how much more do you need for the machine, do you have the HDPE cut also, or just starting out?

Joe

Okay I have to ask the obvious question, why are you no longer using your existing router to cut some of the parts?

Template cut part look good though.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    what kind of hold down are you using when cutting these parts?
    I cut a piece of 3x2 mdf and brad nail each corner to my existing cnc spoilboard and try to cut out the maximum number of parts possible from this piece of mdf. If you talking about holding the pieces together while pattern cutting, I just run screws through the holes in original piece to the copy. I then use these screw holes in the copy and drill them to correct size with drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    Okay I have to ask the obvious question, why are you no longer using your existing router to cut some of the parts?

David
    I had some type of glitch in my cnc board and had to return it to Xylotex for repair. Had an email today that it was in the mail headed back my way. I would have pattern cut each part that I could even if my cnc was in operating condition because pattern cutting is the fastest way for me to duplicate parts. My cnc cuts 15-20 ipm and I can probably pattern cut a piece in a quarter of that time. I'm hoping when I get through that the pattern cutting will be accurate enough. I don't see now why they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    Looks good so far, how much more do you need for the machine, do you have the HDPE cut also, or just starting out?

Joe
    I have all the hardware (I think) but the ubolts and they are ordered. Basically the parts I have pictured are all I have except for the solid pieces I cut on table saw. My controller board went on the blink or I think I would have been through cutting parts out by now. As far as the HDPE parts, I will pm you about those.

thanks

Well, I got my repaired Xylotex board back Sat., hooked it back up and all I could get was a hum from my stepper motors. Emailed Xylotex but didn't expect to hear back til Monday. Sunday I went to Xylotex page and downloaded everything I could about the motors and went to reading. When I originally got the Xylotex kit the board was already preset for the motors and ready to go. The instructions stated how to set the vref (had no idea what vref was). Got out my volt meter just to see if I could get a reading that matched the instructions. Could not get a reading so I turned the blue buttons as instructed and I started getting positive readings. Set all the Vrefs per instructions and the motors started purring like kittens. Before I sent the controller board back to Xylotex my stepper motors made a thumping noise when they run, sounded like a car tire with a big knot on it. Could not get the motors to run over 15 ipm without losing steps. I am anxious to try cutting at faster speeds now that the motors sound right but that is going to have to wait. Unless the doctor changes his mind, I am going to have a new grand-daughter Monday, so my wife and myself will be at my son's for a few days. First things first. May not be the right place but I have to show a video of my first grand-daughter (and first grandchild - born Oct 30, 2006) taken today. It's true what they say, grandkids are wonderful.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...73895802&hl=en

I made a couple of videos after I got my Sosylva back working so here they are also. After cutting out the part it just needs a little swipe with sandpaper to knock off the edges. The Sosylva is just a little slow but again, I hope that is going to improve. For some reason it seems this CNC stuff improves the more I learn

I'll get back to cutting out parts for Joes2006 CNC later.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...38718460023514

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...59046386075342

Nice videos Doug and you have a lovely grandchild - congrats

Looks nice, the only thing i see at the actual corner of the abutting pieces, I use a 1/4" offset to alow the pieces to sit sq. at the corners. as shown in the picture below. I do this on all the pieces that have Sq. corners that way there is not cleanup or further cutting needed. I believe they are shown in all the DWG files.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z Axis Carriage Lt Plate Model (1).jpg  

Well I made it back and have another beautiful grand-daughter.

Thanks for the compliments David. I thought I would get to see some pictures of your new machine running. You should be getting close. I'm anxious to see your final product and how it operates.

Joe, I see what you are talking about with the reliefs cut in the corners. I thought I might make better time cutting the slots with a 1/2 in bit and then cutting the reliefs with 1/4 bit using it like a pin router. I think I like it better cutting the slots with the 1/4 bit to start with. The corners look more professional than free handing them.

How critical are the .25 inch holes for the threaded rods to run through. I was just checking to see how my holes lined up and it is hard to run a .25 rod through 6 or 7 boards with .25 inch holes. Would it mess things up in the final product to drill the holes maybe a 64th oversize to help run the rods through the braces?

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post

How critical are the .25 inch holes for the threaded rods to run through. I was just checking to see how my holes lined up and it is hard to run a .25 rod through 6 or 7 boards with .25 inch holes. Would it mess things up in the final product to drill the holes maybe a 64th oversize to help run the rods through the braces?
    I used a drill and ran the rod through the y-axis gantry, much faster and easier then by hand, just slow down when comming to the next vert. rib, then speed it through.

joe

Thats funny Joe that is exactly what I did. The only slight variation was that I but two nuts locked against each other then used a socket driver on my drill.

Appreciate the suggestions guys. Will take all I can get.

I think I got through cutting all my mdf pieces Sat. unless I overlooked a part or maybe two. Guess I'll start with the assembly & painting after the holidays. I keep watching David's build and got the itch real bad. He seems to be doing his right - not rushing it and just taking it a step at a time.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3933a.jpg   100_3934a.jpg  

Page 1 of 7 123