588,337 active members*
4,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Importing Artwork onto Solid

Importing Artwork onto Solid

Sorry if this question has been answered before -- did a quick search but came up empty. Probably a dumb question anyway - but only found importing into drawing looking through the help menu in Solidworks Help:

Is it possible to import artwork (or selections of) - such as an Emblem - onto a part, cut or extrude it into/onto the part, or do you have to draw the complete artwork from scratch directly onto the part? I know you can import from Photoshop, etc, but I haven’t had much luck doing much more with it once there. No problem doing the art directly onto the part but lots of work depending how intricate.

I’m looking to engrave the manufacture’s emblem of my bike onto the clutch cover with a CNC mill so need it on the part the only way I know how to do it. Apparently there is a way you can import the artwork into the CNC program (?) like CamWorks but the operator doesn’t know how (if possible - would think it should be) -- that’s not what he’s familiar with or has time to do, or it takes another license / add-on to do?

Thanks for you help in advance, even if it’s a flat out NO!!

you just had to vectorize your drawing (no need to redraw the complete artwork)
    use illustrator or something similar

Thank you fabconv. I thought about that last night after posting but still wasn't sure.

Again, Many thanks.

Sketch Picture

Start a sketch on any plane then use "Sketch Picture" to pull in any bmp or jpeg image. You can then trace over it with splines, lines, etc.

There is a good video on YouTube showing a ship hull developed from a picture of the boat plans.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS31uJczzvo&feature=PlayList&p=23C542DA7EB FC251&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10"]YouTube- How to Design a Boat Hull in SolidWorks (Free Form Demo)[/ame]