587,203 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

In need of Linear stages

Hello,
    We are in urgent need 4 of the motorized systems which we will be using to create a biaxial compression testing device.All 4 parts will be placed in a horizontal setup.The mass of each part will be around 20kg.(steel)
    The horizontal thrust force we will be needing is 1KN and the travel distance would be around 50mm.This is a quasi static test, so speed is not an issue.We are willing to compromise on the resolution as well.We contacted a few companies which are selling the linear stages for around 3000$ each which is beyond our budget,given that we are in need of 4 of these.
    Could anyone suggest any companies where I could find these linear stages at a reasonable price.
    I have also attached the 3D view of the final setup,which needs to be moved in respective directions(towards each other for compression).
    Any suggestion will be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Vivek.

Re: In need of Linear stages

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek9093 View Post
    Hello,
    We are in urgent need 4 of the motorized systems which we will be using to create a biaxial compression testing device.All 4 parts will be placed in a horizontal setup.The mass of each part will be around 20kg.(steel)
    The horizontal thrust force we will be needing is 1KN and the travel distance would be around 50mm.This is a quasi static test, so speed is not an issue.We are willing to compromise on the resolution as well.We contacted a few companies which are selling the linear stages for around 3000$ each which is beyond our budget,given that we are in need of 4 of these.
    Could anyone suggest any companies where I could find these linear stages at a reasonable price.
    I have also attached the 3D view of the final setup,which needs to be moved in respective directions(towards each other for compression).
    Any suggestion will be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Vivek.
    Vivek,

Have you tried Bell Everman?

Bell-Everman, Motion Control Technologies

Mike Everman is a fellow CNCZoner, he may cut you a deal.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Hello Jeff,
    Thanks a lot for the information.I just mailed the company.They have the required force specifications.I just hope we get some at a good price.
    Thanks again.
    Vivek.

Hi Vivek, are you the Vivek that I met at Zygo some years back?
    I am wondering why four actuators for a bi-directional test? What is the resolution you require?
    Mike

Hello Mike,
    I am afraid I am not the same Vivek.I am a research assistant at State University of New York at Buffalo.The resolution we are looking for is 100 micrometer,but we are not really concerned with the resolution if we could get down the price.We will be using this setup to find out various buckling patterns under different load paths.This will a strain controlled test,and we will be focusing on the middle part of the specimen as it will be under uniform compression throughout the depth.We will be needing the components of the device to move 2 inches to be exact towards each other.
    It would be really helpful if you could suggest me any linear stages.
    Thanks,
    Vivek.