587,345 active members*
3,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Information about fiber laser cutting system

Hi everybody,

in my company we are discussing about the investment in a laser cutting system... that would be our first laser.

We need to cut MS up to 20mm and SS up to 8mm.

We heard about new fiber laser technology... it seems very interesting but we haven't previous experience in this..
    Is there anybody who can feedback us about his experience or point of view?

Thanks in advance.

Here are my 2 cents. I do work for a builder of lasers (PRIMA), but I will give general advice for any laser system. CO2 vs. Fiber, you have to look at the cutting spectrum and the application. CO2 will be more flexible, cuts a wider range of thicknesses and is friendly to plastic coated stainless/metals. Fiber has a limitation around 4mm-6mm being the thickest with decent results, not friendly with plastic coatings. CO2 will cost way less up front, Fiber is less expensive down the road due to operating costs (electricity, gases, space). CO2 is proven, safer and everyone can run one. Fiber is new, the wavelength is very dangerous (especially for novices) and no one really has a good grasp on how long the fiber resonator will last since it is really new to the market, you will have to establish a laser safety officer should you buy a fiber- investigate it thoroughly before you get jazzed on the hype. First time buyers should by 'simple', learn it over the next year or two and then take a look at fiber again. On automation, buy it later, but lock in a price for automation with whomever you buy your laser from for at least a year in case you want it. Make sure your laser is upgradable for automation. Some builders' models cannot be automated for it is poor at best. See what fits your customer base and go have fun shopping. See the builder's Service Dept, Parts Dept, History, Management. Most all lasers do a great job, but you have to like and trust who you do business with. I hope this helps. If you need more ideas, reply to this and we can call each other.

Thank you Palms!
    I do appreciate your information.
    I will consider you comment and will contact you if furhter ideas are needed.
    Thanks again.
    Bye