588,206 active members*
4,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Inox as cooling liquid

Due to cooling liquid in my Mill and Lathe getting a bug or evaporating I am thinking of using Inox has anybody tried this.

A few folks in the Chinese machine section are using car antifreeze, and I intend to when my machine arrives from China next month.

The only Inox I know is a batter conditioner, but I assume you're talking about a brand of car coolant?

Like WD40

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichris View Post
    A few folks in the Chinese machine section are using car antifreeze, and I intend to when my machine arrives from China next month.

The only Inox I know is a batter conditioner, but I assume you're talking about a brand of car coolant?
    the inox I mean is like WD40 only I think it is better
    How good is antifreeze will it get a bug or evaporate?

Hi Eric,

Just to clarify, in the chinese machine section we are using radiator coolant instead of water for the coolling loop for our 'water cooled spindles' not as a cutting fluid.

Plenty of people use WD40 as you know, not sure about Inox

Doh!

Cutting fluid.... Ignore my comment! I'm picking antifreeze would be a terrible thing to use on a work piece!

Shouldn't read forums late at night it seems.

Car anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) is poisonous.

A guy murdered his wife with small doses of anti-freeze. Well, he at least made national television. But got caught because his wife told a neighbor she suspected he was going to kill her.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichris View Post
    Doh!

Cutting fluid.... Ignore my comment! I'm picking antifreeze would be a terrible thing to use on a work piece!

Shouldn't read forums late at night it seems.
    Thats ok I understand I do it myself some times if it is late at night. I have seen a couple of articles on the net where they mention using Inox just not sure if using it would make it harder to clean down the machines, at least they wont rust, and i don't like the fact that you get a smelly bug in cooling fluid and it is a ***** to get rid of.

Hi all, back in the 50's when I worked next to my father on the horizontal mills, we used to use a drain cleaner added to the water based soluble oil type coolant...lasted for months till the coolant needed changing due to oil contamination etc.

I think you can also buy some stuff called Phenol in the cleaners dept in your supermarket and as it's mixed with water to make an emulsion for degreasing etc it'll work with water based soluble oil coolants.

If'n you do get a bad case of "buggy coolant", changing the stuff won't work 'cos the bugs are in the sump and get mixed with the new lot coming in.

You can try draining the machine coolant tank and spraying some drain cleaner around inside then leaving it overnight or even for a weekend, before flushing out with clean water and refilling with new coolant.

They solved our problem of the "buggy coolant" by using a pale green synthetic coolant for all the machines.

The "buggy coolant" is a real problem and can give you dermatitus if'n you let the coolant get on your skin (or on your clothes) without using a barrier cream prior to working, and proper washup afterwards.
    Ian.

Or you can put a cap full of Lysol in the tank. Won't hurt you or the machine.