588,166 active members*
4,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Internal deep groove tool?

I'm trying to find an internal deep groove tool. Being able to groove about 0.75" groove, and about 4" travel room. Being able to change the angle of the held tool would be great, but not critical. Anybody know of such a beast?

Not having any luck locally so far.

Thanks

We may be able to offer some suggestions, but need to understand more about what you're trying to do.

Is this operation on a lathe or a mill? Assuming you're in a bore and this is a round "snap ring" type groove....what is the starting diameter of the bore, the maximum diameter of the groove, the width of the groove, and the location of the groove from the end face?

This is for turning work on a lathe. Basically, picture a bowl, but with a 3/4" lip at the top (so the bowl has an overhang). Not sure how to describe it...

___ ........ ___
    |.................|
    |.................|
    |.................|
    --------------

the periods are empty space, but if I didn't put it in, the spaces vanished...

Hope this works.

Thanks

Grooving Systems

I would suggest you look at the following: Kennametal, Iscar, Seco or Horn as they all make inturnal indexable grooving bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
    This is for turning work on a lathe. Basically, picture a bowl, but with a 3/4" lip at the top (so the bowl has an overhang). Not sure how to describe it...

___ ........ ___
    |.................|
    |.................|
    |.................|
    --------------

the periods are empty space, but if I didn't put it in, the spaces vanished...

Hope this works.

Thanks
    OK...so what's the entry I.D., the max O.D. the distance from the face to the inside starting edge of the big bore, and the distance from the face to the back end of the big bore? Also, what's the max diameter boring bar/internal grooving bar that your machine can take?

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    OK...so what's the entry I.D., the max O.D. the distance from the face to the inside starting edge of the big bore, and the distance from the face to the back end of the big bore? Also, what's the max diameter boring bar/internal grooving bar that your machine can take?
    Opening about 6", diameter about 8", wall thickness about 1/4". Dimensions aren't cast in stone. So, the "overhang" will be about 3/4" long, about 1/4" thick. Max tool diameter... haven't checked. 2", I think. I'll measure tomorrow. Mazak Nexus 250 is the lathe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
    Opening about 6", diameter about 8", wall thickness about 1/4". Dimensions aren't cast in stone. So, the "overhang" will be about 3/4" long, about 1/4" thick. Max tool diameter... haven't checked. 2", I think. I'll measure tomorrow. Mazak Nexus 250 is the lathe.

Thanks
    Much larger piece than I thought! If I read your note correctly, it seems the "overhang" of the tool you need is 1".

What you should look at is Valenite's ValGroove VTG series modular tools. Specifically, consider a VGSCA L 80 insert holder. The insert is 8mm (.315") wide, but can go 1.10" deep. It can be found on Page D18 of the 2007 Turning catalog. (You can download a PDF of the catalog at Valenite.com) The inserts for it are really good, really tough with excellent chip form control. You have a choice of 4 grades in the "PG" series (precision grooving), or 2 grades in the "TG" (turn/groove) series.

To hold it you may need to make your own bar, but it's a very simple "bolt though a keyway" type of fastening system. The only round shank holders they have for that "head" are 1.25" or 1.50" diameter, BUT they hold the insert at 90 degrees from what you need. Duh.

There are a couple of straight shank holders with the correct orientation, but they might no be long enough to get clearance to the bottom of the bore from the face of your tool block. Those are VHDBSN-20 (1-1/4" x 7) and VHDBSN-24 (1-1/2 x 8), see Page D19. Inserts are on Pages D36 & D37.

Hope this helps!