587,112 active members*
3,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

intro and questions

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, green as a gourd when it comes to CNC anything and looking for some advice as to where to start.

I'm a sheetmetal shaper by trade and most of what I do is a slow, tedious process. Shaping obsolete automotive sheetmetal replacement panels by hand, using a hammer, beater bag and english wheel isn't exactly an easy way to make a living, but I do enjoy it. However, I've come to a point that I can no longer keep up with my workload without relying on automated processes to some degree. I'm going to start stamping some of the parts I make and will be doing this with a hydroform press. This method will reduce die costs, and although some of the dies may be cast, I find myself needing to either purchase or build a CNC router for making dies.

Since several of the panels I plan to make are fairly sizeable, I'll be needing a large router table.

If anyone would care to lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you folks have any words of wisdom, I'm all ears!!

Thank you,
    Randy Ferguson
    www.fergusoncoachbuilding.com

Welcome to the forum Randy.
    You can check out the metal working section and see what some the guys are using.
    It sound like any router you build will have a fairly tough workload, in that case you can check out the mechmate machine. He has a thread in this section and you can also check out his site www.mechmate.com

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the input. I've looked at the MechMate website and it looks to be a nice design. I need more clearence between the gantry and table than what's designed into this machine. Having read part of the forums on that site, there is only 8" vertical space to work with, which I don't believe will be sufficient for my needs. It isn't recommended to increase the distance vertically, according to the designer.

Thanks again,
    Randy Ferguson

Randy,

When we build patterns for casting, we often have to build them up in layers. Could you use a router with a smaller than needed Z and build the dies up in layers?

Alan

Randy look at this too.

Mechmate is they way to go for you and you can increase the Z hieght on it I believe without too much issue its a solid machine. As for the previous post where he said do layers look at this demo at ...

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../c3d_index.htm

scroll down toward the bottom where the face is and watch that for 30 seconds.

Coog
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the input. I see what you're saying about layering and that may be an option. Hadn't really thought of it!!

Most of what I do is automotive panels from the 20's through 60's but mostly '37-'42 Willys replacement panels, which are fat fendered cars with lots of compound curves. Would I need a 5 axis router to make these dies?

Thank you,
    Randy Ferguson

Randy,

I've seen your work on Metalmeet. You are a God! Welcome to the zone.

jgro

compund curves...

You may want to build a robotic arm type cnc instead of a gantry setup... I think this would allow you to hit the 4th axis that your looking for.

This is a tuffy and out of my league for awhile.. I am going to start some robotics myself with a bunch of spare motors etc I have and some spare aluminum..

I think I can repeat a "arm" with some rotational control on the "wrist" with the hand being a router..

Input anyone???

Coog
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

jgro,

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the compliments, but I'm just a simple man. Please don't give me a status I can't live up to!!!!

Coogrrr,

After looking for several hours last night, I was wondering about a robotic arm myself, but I don't really grasp how a simple 3 axis table works at this point.

Something I should also mention is that I would like to be able to make this a versatile machine that can easily be adapted to accept a plasma torch for cutting sheetmetal blanks when not in use as a router. I may even consider using a lazer cutter rather than plasma, but I assume the CNC part of it would be the same?

Please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,
    Randy Ferguson

Hi Randy
    For most of what you want to do, 4 axis will work, 5 is overkill for right now.
    The dies that I'm building for you could be made on a 3 axis with 5" of Z travel, but the fenders you want to do would be made in layers, and pinned together. Also the press is not big enough to handel the front fenders in one piece. I'll send you pictures of the 4 axis router that I'm building to make some of the dies that you want. I should be done with it by the end of this month. And yes, I'll be bringing it to Metalmeet 07.

Also, I'm looking at being able to use it with a plasma gun.

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

I look forward to the pictures. I wasn't planning to do the front fenders in one piece, as that would take some pretty complicated dies. I'm hoping it's possible to do the rear fenders in one piece, but if not, it isn't a big deal. Just speeding up the process will be a big help.

I'm working on a piece today for a 356 Porsche that would go much quicker than hammerforming, once I get setup. I have a lot to learn in the next few months!!

Thanks,

Randy
    Randy Ferguson

Randy
    I will be posting pictures sometime in the next week. Router table is 4' x 5' x 12" Z. I was going to use one of Joe's kits, but I made the mistake of going by Boeing surplus, and found a welded steel table, just the right size for my project. It's made out of 2" square tube, cross braced every 14", lockable casters, a full length shelf, and 1.25" thick MDO table top. When I told the guys at the store what I was building, They brought out a Tompson rail and bearing block. The table, rail, bearing, and a few other parts.....$125

Hope to have the router up and running by April 1.:cheers:

Jeffrey