587,848 active members*
3,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Is it hard finding a job as an CNC Machinist?

I'm planning on taking classes at my community college in spring for my "CNC Technology Diploma". However, I'm not certain if this will be any help to me at all when trying to find a job in this field. How's the job market right now for CNC? I need your guidance on whether if I should stay on this course or head elsewhere.

Also, what is the average salary for a CNC worker in Georgia.

Pay scale varies greatly within different parts of the state, and even from shop to shop. Since your just starting out, more likely than not, your going to be just a button smasher for a while. Some companies only want people (beginners) that stand at the machine and load/unload parts all day. It pays more than McDonalds, but not by much. 9-12 hr probably. If you really want to make better money, your really going to need some experience behind you. Most of the people that become machinist for the long haul, can have a decent life. Your not going to have more money than you know what to do with, for sure. Some people put that extra effort into continued learning, and can move up the ranks and secure a better paying job, just like any other field. If you had 7+ years of experience, it's not unheard of to make 20+ hr in the southeast, if your one of the lucky few. Typical wage I would guess to be 15.00-18.00 for somebody that knows their way around various machinery.

No, not at all. If you have 3+ years and pay attention to how to set up jobs you will be alright.

There are so many jobs out there right now. I get calls and emails everyday from headhunters but as a CNC Programmer/Designer and Machinist with 20 years experience, I wouldn't consider a job for less than $40 an hour...

$40/hr?? In California, sure, but that's not typical pay for Georgia, even with 20 years experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistersam View Post
    $40/hr?? In California, sure, but that's not typical pay for Georgia, even with 20 years experience.
    Nor here in New Jersey. Or else I am way under paid. Even at my current wage, I would have to take a 30-40% cut in pay to work in my home state of Pennsylvania. Sux.

Pay, is always a relevant thing.

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King", and in the land of Kalifornia with $1,000 one room apartments, sky-high fees for everything, $3.50 a gallon gas and the highest state income tax in the country. $35 an hour will barely get you by.

When I see companies here in SoCal looking for Master CNC Programmer/Machinist jobs advertised for $20 an hour I just laugh. Don't know about GA, PA or NJ but try living in CA with a $20 an hour (40K a year) job...

We all understand that, Chrliev. If I had to guess, 95% of those "so many jobs out there" being pushed by those "headhunters" are only offering substandard wages. We get those offers all over the country, no matter what state you live, or even what profession your in for that matter. The original poster is just starting out, lives in Georgia, and wanted opinions on how hard it is to find a job.
    "so many jobs out there right now" and "$40 an hour" is not really a fair assessment of information this guy is looking for, and kind of gives the false sense of 'visions of sugar-plums dancing in the head'.

You guys think that an employer will hire someone that has an CNC certificate with no experience (job wise)?

Quote Originally Posted by bacsilove View Post
    You guys think that an employer will hire someone that has an CNC certificate with no experience (job wise)?
    Sure, but don't expect $40 / hour. Frankly, I don't know of too many places that pay beyond $25.00 / hour here in the mid-west (Chicago area). You will start out at basic pay level, probably in the $12.00 / hour range. The road to top pay can be very long unless you are assertive enough to maximize your learning potential and demonstrate exceptional skill.

Chris

How to become a successful CNC guy...

I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't take a job for less than $40 an hour. I was politely reminded that most people should not expect to ever earn more than $25 hour. Sugar Plum Fairies dancing in their heads not withstanding you can get there too.

What I actually meant was $40 is the least that I would consider taking in this down economy, I normally charge $70 an hour for 3D surface designs and multi-axis programming, when I quote a project it often turns into more than that. I didn't start out as a Pro in this business and if you just got a certificate you are not a Pro either, so with that in mind...

(continued on next post)

Wink Success part deux

I've been doing this for 25+ yeads and here's how you can get there:

Get a menial operator job, take minimum wage if you have to, make sure its a job that encourages you to learn and get ahead, if they object, keep looking, work very hard, you tend to get more help if you show no fear of hard work. Come in early, stay late, turn off the TV work at home.

Make every effort to learn, become a trigonometry and shop math wiz, pay attention (its free) and watch carefully, take notes, get print outs, read the CNC program, figure out what each command in the program does and why, average programmers don't know how to read a G code print out, do not work hard or endeavour to become average...

Read the machines manuals, learn machine set-up skills; set-up people earn more money than machine operators, good set-up people earn a lot more...

Obtain computer skills, and learn to type. Express an extreme interest in learning offline CNC programs, like Mcam, GCam, SurfCam, SolidWorks, etc. Do not obtain bootleg software, not even an older semi-obsolete version that is still very useful, and learn programming in the privacy of your own home, that would be wrong not to mention illegal and I would never recommend that a hard working individual do that kind of thing just to get a leg up on your career... ;-)

Learn 3D solids modeling and eventually 3, 4 and even 5 axis programming, practice it within your head if you have to. Figure out how to write complex 4 and 5 Axis Post-Processor software, its easier now than it was when I learned.

Read tooling manuals, tooling catalogs, machine shop periodicals or anything else that you can get a hold of, stay abreast of new tooling, control and software technology. You must know what type of cutting tools to use, when and why... Use your new knowledge whenever, wherever you can apply it...

Never take NO for an answer, never assume or give off the impression that you've learned or know it all, You haven't and you dont...

Don't be afraid to look for a better opportunity down the road. This is how I did it and still do it and after 10+ years of this kind of diligence you might be surprised at what you can earn....

Good Luck

PS. The Sugar Plum Fairies will dance for you too...!

The more you learn(know),the more you make. The dollar figure depends on what part of the country you are in. I've been doing machine work for 20+ years. I also repair and "untangle" CNC machines. In Texas,20.00/hr is doing good. It kinda SUX! We are all at the mercy of the current job market.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrliev View Post
    I've been doing this for 25+ yeads and here's how you can get there:

Get a menial operator job, take minimum wage if you have to, make sure its a job that encourages you to learn and get ahead, if they object, keep looking, work very hard, you tend to get more help if you show no fear of hard work. Come in early, stay late, turn off the TV work at home.

Make every effort to learn, become a trigonometry and shop math wiz, pay attention (its free) and watch carefully, take notes, get print outs, read the CNC program, figure out what each command in the program does and why, average programmers don't know how to read a G code print out, do not work hard or endeavour to become average...

Read the machines manuals, learn machine set-up skills; set-up people earn more money than machine operators, good set-up people earn a lot more...

Obtain computer skills, and learn to type. Express an extreme interest in learning offline CNC programs, like Mcam, GCam, SurfCam, SolidWorks, etc. Do not obtain bootleg software, not even an older semi-obsolete version that is still very useful, and learn programming in the privacy of your own home, that would be wrong not to mention illegal and I would never recommend that a hard working individual do that kind of thing just to get a leg up on your career... ;-)

Learn 3D solids modeling and eventually 3, 4 and even 5 axis programming, practice it within your head if you have to. Figure out how to write complex 4 and 5 Axis Post-Processor software, its easier now than it was when I learned.

Read tooling manuals, tooling catalogs, machine shop periodicals or anything else that you can get a hold of, stay abreast of new tooling, control and software technology. You must know what type of cutting tools to use, when and why... Use your new knowledge whenever, wherever you can apply it...

Never take NO for an answer, never assume or give off the impression that you've learned or know it all, You haven't and you dont...

Don't be afraid to look for a better opportunity down the road. This is how I did it and still do it and after 10+ years of this kind of diligence you might be surprised at what you can earn....

Good Luck

PS. The Sugar Plum Fairies will dance for you too...!
    Thanks for the great advice.

i have to agree with what every one here has said, so i wont go back over that, but as a relative newcomer to the industry, i know what you are goin to go through..I do more design and drafting than programming, but i do program when the work is there. I had a hard time "getting in" (jobs are scarce here) so what i did was make a way to work around the industry to get to the same goal...goal being money in my pocket... get yourself a nice portfolio, and carry it with you everywhere you go. (Mine has one job per sleeve. a set of working drawings with a small 3d model on one side, and a picture or two of the finished part inside the setup(s) with a tool list, job run time, and maybe whatever "challenge" presented itself on that particular part.) i don't know how many times I've been some random place and some one will say "you know i need this part made" or "i have this idea" i can break out the portfolio, and 60-70% of the time, i get some work. Then You can design/program the parts and send it to the machine shops. eventually they find out who you are this way...the reason i say all that ^^^ is because what i did to "get in" was free lance work (i'm a student and full time work is difficult.) you'd be surprised how many shops will hire you on a "few hours" basis when they know you can come in and get the job done and usually the money is better than if you were a regular employee anyways. (hours are def better lol) Anyways, back to the portfolio.. The last "real job" i interviewed for, they requested a resume, and i sent them my portfolio with a resume on the first page in a nice binder. Job was mine if i wanted it, without even an interview .but they didnt wanna pay right. anyways....yeah. sorry that turned out longer than i thought it would.. haha. just sayin, the work is out there.. you just have to do what you have to do to make it work to your advantage.

oh yeah...learn how to write post processors too. lol

Invest in yourself. Buy good quality tools. Buy some software and learn to program, people in this forum will help you. Learn how to read Gcode. There are plenty of guys out there that do just what they have to to get by, they have no get up and go. show some initiative, more times than not you will succede.

Get ready for another boom cycle in this industry. We have had a good 9 years of "pent up demand". A mold shop here just bought 2 VERY large Kitamura bridge mills (over a million dollar order) and said they will be spending money like "drunken sailors". And they meant "they" as in the whole mold industry. With the new tax law allowing 100% write off of your investment in the 1st year, companies are already chomping at the bit to get machines. And not just machines, the molds themselves (called a tool) are considered a capital investment and qualifies. 10 years ago, we all but thought the mold industry dead and gone to China. Also, I have seen DOZENS of recent sales of new 5 axis HMC pallet pools in LA'S South Bay area alone as word is that the 787 is gonna finally be released and it will not be "how much is your machine" but instead "how fast can I get it". I started as a machinist in 1979 and witnessed my first one of these boom cycles when Reagan spent gazillions and back then I was making 25/hr as a manual machinist!! Fast forward to 1993 and the second boom I was selling machines and easily made a 6 fig yearly income until the last bust after 9/11. During that cycle, it was quite common for machinist, that could set-up and program, to bump the 100k/yr figure. I remember 1 shop in Garden Grove where the owner showed me his payroll in September and damn near every one of his machinist had already made 90g. Granted, 10/12 hour days and 1/2 a Saturday, but it was being done. This last bust cycle has been goin on since 9/11, which is a good 4 years longer than they usually last. And in this industry, you cannot go 8-9-10 years without updating/upgrading your equipment and expect to be competitive.
    You might be getting in at the right time. Be prepared to bust your ass if you want to make the big bucks. It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrliev View Post
    I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't take a job for less than $40 an hour. I was politely reminded that most people should not expect to ever earn more than $25 hour. Sugar Plum Fairies dancing in their heads not withstanding you can get there too.

What I actually meant was $40 is the least that I would consider taking in this down economy, I normally charge $70 an hour for 3D surface designs and multi-axis programming, when I quote a project it often turns into more than that. I didn't start out as a Pro in this business and if you just got a certificate you are not a Pro either, so with that in mind...

(continued on next post)
    Ok , given your posted numbers and the average 50 hour week for a good cnc machinist/programmer your income after expenses for this year is about $140,000?
    I'm impressed, but that's a bit above what most can expect to earn doing this. You don't help a newcomer by posting unrealistic numbers.

Everyone in the business is a Pro... professional doesn't mean you are good it just means you are paid.
    (flame2)
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevEdo View Post
    Get ready for another boom cycle in this industry. We have had a good 9 years of "pent up demand". A mold shop here just bought 2 VERY large Kitamura bridge mills (over a million dollar order) and said they will be spending money like "drunken sailors". And they meant "they" as in the whole mold industry. With the new tax law allowing 100% write off of your investment in the 1st year, companies are already chomping at the bit to get machines. And not just machines, the molds themselves (called a tool) are considered a capital investment and qualifies. 10 years ago, we all but thought the mold industry dead and gone to China. Also, I have seen DOZENS of recent sales of new 5 axis HMC pallet pools in LA'S South Bay area alone as word is that the 787 is gonna finally be released and it will not be "how much is your machine" but instead "how fast can I get it". I started as a machinist in 1979 and witnessed my first one of these boom cycles when Reagan spent gazillions and back then I was making 25/hr as a manual machinist!! Fast forward to 1993 and the second boom I was selling machines and easily made a 6 fig yearly income until the last bust after 9/11. During that cycle, it was quite common for machinist, that could set-up and program, to bump the 100k/yr figure. I remember 1 shop in Garden Grove where the owner showed me his payroll in September and damn near every one of his machinist had already made 90g. Granted, 10/12 hour days and 1/2 a Saturday, but it was being done. This last bust cycle has been goin on since 9/11, which is a good 4 years longer than they usually last. And in this industry, you cannot go 8-9-10 years without updating/upgrading your equipment and expect to be competitive.
    You might be getting in at the right time. Be prepared to bust your ass if you want to make the big bucks. It can happen.

you know.. i think your right man.. im only 25 and only just now getting into this so i havent seen the cycles you mention, but i can see a pick up just in the last few months. You can tell alot by whats happening with aerospace, and they are hiring. as a matter of fact, last week was the first time i had to go to my "second choice" machine shop ...so business must be gettin better..

My ladder:
    Fresh out of High School summer of 80, didn't even take metal shop, made 4/hr pullin parts out of Brownies and deburring at Remcon Machine. Kenny Remson, biggest jerk in the world.
    3 months later, got a job running Surface grinders and OD ID Grinders did all my own set-ups, at a glass machine shop. Year and a half later I am at Avco Missle Systems 10 something/hr. 1984 got hired at GE River Works at 16/hr plus shift deferential (night shifts) setting up and running W&S 1A and 2A screw machines.(Took me about 1 night to figure those out as my last 2 jobs I was solely a grinding machine guy) March of 87, over 6700 of us got the axe in one day. THANK YOU LAZY MILITANT UNION Took the summer off and was introduced to a recruiter that got me "contract jobs" (temp jobs) for anywhere between 20-30 bucks an hour. So, in a bout 8 years with zero formal training and no cnc experience I was makin 40-60g. As a manual machinist. Had I not been so busy lying on beaches and partying my brains out all week/weekends and learned cnc I'd have made tons more. And that was good money in the 80's.
    Do yourself a favor stay clear of unions. They will not protect you (GE's massive layoff) but only the drunk drug addled lazy fat bassturd with more seniority. Ya, I'd been "sold down the river" at least twice by IUE201.

Work hard, endeavor to constantly learn.

Community Colleges are big proponents of the metalworking arts. Also, look for your local NTMA chapter and sign up immediately. They have AWESOME training and usually fully equipped with Haas turning and milling along with Charmilles edm and lots of other goodies. NTMA stands for: National Tooling and Machining Assoc.

For once, I actually watched the Almighty Obongo in a speech a few weeks ago( GE Schenectady me thinks) and agreed with the Almighty Annointed One when he said: We need to be a maker of things in America again. Coulda sworn he turned republican ffs. 1st chance you get, learn about automation in machine shop. Even the Chinese have figured out the cheap labor force is not the answer and are investing heavily in twin spindle/3 turret turning centers and automated 5 axis mills.

It's a lucrative career with great pride in knowing just about everything non organic you can look at or touch somehow had a machine tool involved in it's making, LITERALLY, thats no overstatement.

We make the world go around and bring you the universe.

GO FOR IT.

Page 1 of 2 12