587,466 active members*
3,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Is a Tormach capable of making this part in small production qtys?
Page 5 of 5 345
    Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Wrong on both counts. First, putting the part in the spindle, you can cut using a lathe tool, so finish will be EXACTLY the same as with a lathe. Second, IMHO, threadmilling beats a lathe hands-down for finish quality, and you can easily tune for a very precise fit.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thx for the input Ray. I understand you’ll get the same finish as turning when vmc turning. My comment reg surface finish was specifically directed at thread milling. I’ve seen thread milling, and it looks painfully slow to me, but maybe I just haven’t seen it done right.

Regardless, I still think turning this part is the better way to go. I can turn the outer profile, bottom hole, and threads without having to change setups. Vmc turning and thread milling will require two different setups.

Threadmilling is much better in all ways and just a little bit slower but it gives you awesome control and finish.

QUOTE=motoeng;2108652]Thx for the input Ray. I understand you’ll get the same finish as turning when vmc turning. My comment reg surface finish was specifically directed at thread milling. I’ve seen thread milling, and it looks painfully slow to me, but maybe I just haven’t seen it done right.

Regardless, I still think turning this part is the better way to go. I can turn the outer profile, bottom hole, and threads without having to change setups. Vmc turning and thread milling will require two different setups.[/QUOTE]

Re: Is a Tormach capable of making this part in small production qtys?

Quote Originally Posted by motoeng View Post
    . ...Vmc turning and thread milling will require two different setups.
    If you add a spindle position sensor (once per rotation sensor) then you can also turn the threads in the VMC spindle. Search this forum for vertical mill turning, someone that used to actively post here did it around 2010.

Page 5 of 5 345