588,311 active members*
4,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > is this wiring correct? + have 2 questions...

is this wiring correct? + have 2 questions...

after having alot of trouble with the TB6560 boards i'm thinking of buying this set on ebay: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/18084063...84.m1423.l2649

it seems these M542 drivers have a better reputation on this forum than the TB6560 controller

is this a wise choice if you don't have a large budget like me?

and is this wiring correct?

also:

- Why is there an aditional 5V connection (under the emergency stop connection) when there is already a 5V power supply given by the USB connector? or is this in case you don't use the USB connector?

- Wich wiring code is correct (upper left top of drawing)??
    -> because the website from the seller give these 2 options.
    -> or does this not mather as long as you connect the Pul+ to XS, Dir+ to XD, Ena+ to XE and the Pul-/Dir-Ena- to XN?

also:
    - the resistors between the controller and the driver, how do you guys connect them? do you just solder them at the end of the wire or what do you do? it seems so fragile to just solder them on the wire and then connect the other end of the resistor to the controller....

-> it also says if using 5V there are no Resistors needed, but in my case is this the 5V of the controller or the 24V for the motors i have to take in to account?

and another question:
    - How do my dip switches 1 to 4 need to be when using these motors?
    -> Stepper Motor Nema 23 - (57BYGH56-401A) Single-Shaft Stepper Motors 1.26Nm/175oz-in 2.8A

thanks in advance!!

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but I have not heard much good about the second board your looking at either. I just got the C10 board from CNC4PC.com and like it well enough. I was looking at the one you show, but after research decided against it- and am glad I did. Either way, good luck with it. This is just my opinion, it might work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crane550 View Post
    Not to take any wind out of your sails, but I have not heard much good about the second board your looking at either. I just got the C10 board from CNC4PC.com and like it well enough. I was looking at the one you show, but after research decided against it- and am glad I did. Either way, good luck with it. This is just my opinion, it might work fine.
    thanks for the info. i see the C10 isn't that expencive either.
    i can test the board i'm going to buy and if i'm not satisfied with it i can always buy a C10. but are the M542 drivers a bit ok? because i can always buy a C10 in combination with these M542 drivers...

can anyone please give me some advise?

can anyone please give the some advise still?

1. do i need the aditional 5V to beconnected at the lower right corner of the controller? or is the 5V from the usb cable enough?

2. and do i need those resistors between the controller and drivers?
    -> i mean... it says "R=0 if VCC=5V" but do they ean the 5V from the usb?

3. what about the wiring shown in the upper left corner of the first drawing?

4. how about the dip switches? how do they need to be set if i use Nema 23 Stepper motors (57BYGH56-401A, Single-Shaft Stepper Motors 1.26Nm/175oz-in 2.8A)

Hi effimos ,

you need to connect either the usb cable or a 5V supply to the terminal block

since the two octal data buffer IC's ( I expect to be 74HC 244 or 74HC 245 )
    send 5V TTL step (pul) ,direction and enable signals to the M542 stepper driver

you don't need to add the 2K resistors ,
    the 270 ohm resistors inside the driver is enough to limit the opto isolator
    LED current

the BN , XN , YN , ZN , and AN terminals are connected to the negative
    5V supply .
    they need to be connected to the driver ENA - , DIR - , PUL- terminals
    as in your main diagram

John

problem

Hi, Just wired up the m452 system. Following instructions and setup mach3 pins and everything. The result is steppers are holding axis, when i run gcode in mach3 steppers moving right direction and right axis. The problem is that steppers are turning just for couple mm or making only noise on smaller movement in code and not turning axis at all - sow low movement.

All this stuff is new for me, so bit struggling, is it problem with switches on m542, is it problem with brake out board (5axis from ebay) is it problem with wiring, is it problem with setup in much3.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    Hi, Just wired up the m452 system. Following instructions and setup mach3 pins and everything. The result is steppers are holding axis, when i run gcode in mach3 steppers moving right direction and right axis. The problem is that steppers are turning just for couple mm or making only noise on smaller movement in code and not turning axis at all - sow low movement.

All this stuff is new for me, so bit struggling, is it problem with switches on m542, is it problem with brake out board (5axis from ebay) is it problem with wiring, is it problem with setup in much3.
    hi, it could be you have the same problem i had when following the instructions given with the driver.
    what i did was in mach 3 -> Config -> motor tuning.
    and here you have to set the Step Pulse and Dir pulse both to 5 instead of 0.
    this worked for me!

Disconnect Dir Ena +&- on drivers

thanks a lot !... put step pulse and dir pulse to 5 and axis looks move normally. Have no idea about sizes. Dir ena - was disconnected already... another problem that i cant move axis with keyboard in mach3. from g code axis moves, but from keyboard nothing. So many buttons are there bit confusing on beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    thanks a lot !... put step pulse and dir pulse to 5 and axis looks move normally. Have no idea about sizes. Dir ena - was disconnected already... another problem that i cant move axis with keyboard in mach3. from g code axis moves, but from keyboard nothing. So many buttons are there bit confusing on beginning.
    did you hit 'tab' to get the manual operating screen?
    this should let you move the axes manualy with the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by effimos View Post
    did you hit 'tab' to get the manual operating screen?
    this should let you move the axes manualy with the keyboard.
    Yeaa thanks. It's working, at last this project is finished . The Y axis on new cheep breakout board not working. As I connected cnc Y axis to board's B axis and B axis slaved to Y axis in mach3, everything is working! need to find some better make breakout board.

The uniports a good one....this fellas a good bloke if yer have problems.

CNC Products and kits

Quote Originally Posted by HorridHenry View Post
    The uniports a good one....this fellas a good bloke if yer have problems.

CNC Products and kits

Yea i know that site, many good info in it as well. The problem is that generally I will use gecko drive g540. just some delays with it and I decided that driver board is weakest point and it's good to have backup and bouth m542 as well. I use 2 axis to move X axis that means I need 4 axis as minimum. because of G540 is 4 axis, than other driver i want 5 axis, with option to put lathe stepper in future. That means i need 5 axis breakout board. Uniports got 4.