587,833 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Is it worth upgrading from LaserCUT to EngraveLAB when designing in Illustrator?

Is it worth upgrading from LaserCUT to EngraveLAB when designing in Illustrator?

Hoping some of you fine folks might have some experience you can share.

I am in the market for a laser and one of my top choices comes stock with LaserCUT 5.3, but the representative I spoke to recommended upgrading to EngraveLAB v9 as it would give me the ability to import Adobe Illustrator files directly. Since Illustrator is my design software of choice, this sounds like the smoothest option to me, but is it really necessary? Is it worth the additional $400 for the software or will LaserCUT 5.3 be satisfactory? Additionally, is there a third software that might be a better option?

Re: Is it worth upgrading from LaserCUT to EngraveLAB when designing in Illustrator?

From my experience, avoid anything that requires a dongle (Lasercut does, not sure if EngraveLAB does) which is very hard as a lot of Chinese vendors sell Lasercut with there machines.

After less than 12 months the dongle has failed on my machine and now I have to go to the expense and time to change the controller and control pad on my machine.

Re: Is it worth upgrading from LaserCUT to EngraveLAB when designing in Illustrator?

Quote Originally Posted by cautious32 View Post
    From my experience, avoid anything that requires a dongle (Lasercut does, not sure if EngraveLAB does) which is very hard as a lot of Chinese vendors sell Lasercut with there machines.

After less than 12 months the dongle has failed on my machine and now I have to go to the expense and time to change the controller and control pad on my machine.
    Thanks for the feedback. The dongle sounds like a hassle to me as well. What machine do you have?

I just got a generic laser machine. I bought it from Nice-Cut which was recommended to me by some one I know. I've heard of several people who have purchased from them and been very happy but with any company you can always have a bad experience from time to time.

Most Chinese lasers seem to have a Leetro controller with Lasercut with dongle as the software.

I'm replacing the Leetro controller with an AWC608 controller. It comes with LaserCad software and doesn't require a dongle. It looks like it should be a straight forward install but without a functioning Lasecut software on my PC I can't go into the controller and check all of the settings before disconnecting it. When I first got my laser I did go into some of the screens and take some screenshots so I hope that was enough. I'd love to here from someone who has done the conversion.

Thanks for your thoughts, leaning towards the upgrade then. Probably less hassle.

yes,Illustrator using better upgrade
    lasercut is more professional in CorealDraw and AutoCAD only
    good luck
    tina from g.weike laser
    EMAIL: [email protected] SKYPE: lysunshine521

EngraveLab requires a dongle also. In my opinion Coreldraw is far more user friendly than EngravedLab, and it seems a very expensive exercise for what will only be a bridging program if you are already designing in Illustrator.

This is bull****.
    I know dozens of LC users and and have contact with another dozens. Nobody ever had such problem with dongle.
    But if it really happens to fail the new one cost 98 USD.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

I just got a generic laser machine. I bought it from Nice-Cut which was recommended to me by some one I know. I've heard of several people who have purchased from them and been very happy but with any company you can always have a bad experience from time to time.
    Most Chinese lasers seem to have a Leetro controller with Lasercut with dongle as the software.
    I'm replacing the Leetro controller with an AWC608 controller. It comes with LaserCad software and doesn't require a dongle. It looks like it should be a straight forward install but without a functioning Lasecut software on my PC I can't go into the controller and check all of the settings before disconnecting it. When I first got my laser I did go into some of the screens and take some screenshots so I hope that was enough. I'd love to here from someone who has done the conversion.
    Any reliable reason for spending time and money?
    What is so good in AWC608 that Leetro does not have?
    CNC lasers, constructions, service