587,997 active members*
1,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > IS400 spindle motor always running

IS400 spindle motor always running

Hi, having any issue with our older IS400. before when it gets warmed out as soon as i turn it on the spindle motor starts running and the speed control is ignored. i replaced all the fans (3) with higher cfm ones to see if it helps, but now its doing even when its getting cooler out. any ideas on what it could be? it engraves fine, just doesn't give me any speed control, if i remove the pendant it keeps running.

Thanks
    brian

Re: IS400 spindle motor always running

Hi Slothy,

We are having a similar problem. Did you figure this out?

The controller has a mosfet that's going bad. If it doesn't start spinning right away when it's turned on then there's a chance you can get away with replacing a resistor. r54 or 56 or something. I've done a couple of them in the field but that was over a decade ago I'm sure. I just don't see it much anymore. I'm sure it's a serial controller. You could send it into Gravotech to get it repaired. The board guy there is really good. He's been with them for at least 20+ years.

Funny, I was doing a search for spindle run out on the 400 & this post came up. I'm on CNC ZONE because my hobby is cnc / milling.

Sorry it took you all this long to hear from someone here. Did either of you get help yet?

We have not had a chance to come up with a permanent fix for this ourselves. After reading about it potentially being a heat problem here, we discovered that if we left the top of the case off, everything would work fine. Put the top of the case back on, problem comes back. Since it seemed heat related we were going to install a couple extra fans in the top of the case and see if that fixed it but have not been using it so have not had made doing that a priority. If I get some free time I will take a look at the resistors and maybe see if I can take some voltage readings of when it is working vs not and see if I can narrow down the problem. I've read that getting it repaired can be quite expensive so have been hesitant to go down that road.