587,675 active members*
3,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: It works!

Page 1 of 2 12

It works!

My first attempt at a CNC foamcutter, built on a major budget with no special tools. All I had to work with was a Jig saw and a couple of Drills. I used shelves and hardware from Home Depot, Acme 1/2x10 Lead screws, Delrin ballnuts and Vexta motors from eBay. Controller is an original Foamlinx board that I bought used for $60.00, it even came with 2 1/2 AHATB heat controllers from HobbyCNC(have gotten those to work yet). A friend leant me a MONSTER Lab grade PS for the bow (variable DC 2-30V at 0-15A, thing must be 75lbs!).

Looking forward to producing some nice plane for myself and friends, perhaps even kit some for sale.

Sleedo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0563 (Medium).jpg   100_0564 (Medium).jpg   100_0565 (Medium).jpg  

Well done. Looks a fairly clean build. Interesting to see you using double draw slides. Saw someone else doing something similar on a router.
    Paul

Thank You, did my best without a proper workshop. Next one will be even nicer.

Sleedo

Well done Sleedo,
    Looks like a very simple and effective machine. Good Cutting.

Bud

hey sleedo have you done any full wing cores yet?

I noticed you had some airfoil shapes blanked out.

If so could you post a couple of pictures? I was kinda curious what a home made CNC wire cutter was capable of.

thanks
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Sure, here are some of the planes that have been made from my cores. I didn't make the wing for the boat but I am currently working with the designer of the vessel on an 1/8 scale model of it to do some testing and development on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LeBird-m.jpg   TOONS.JPG   100_0593.jpg   EPSN0003.JPG  

AUSVWater1.jpg  

here's a couple o' more, with a shot of a nice set of cores ready to be prepped for bagging and the root of the wingeron wings for my Sig Samurai.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails epsn0084.jpg   epsn0083.jpg   epsn0082.jpg  

those are sweet man!

how long of a learning curve was it to get your machine cutting like you wanted?

And where do you get your foam? ep I pressume?
    thanks
    Michael T.

Learning curve was fairly steep and I ramped up within a week of cutting everyday for a few hours at least. Important to get a good software package and stick with it, very confusing to switch around. I settled on GMFC PE, works well and very good support. Wasted a lot of foam too, mostly Dow 250 from home depot. I also use EPP which I have gotten from many sources, it's far more expensive so I practise with the pink stuff.

how much did the "GMFC PE" software cost? and where did you get it?
    thanks
    Michael T.

here's a link to their page, you can get demo and learn to use it before you buy. It was 45euros, about $60.
    http://gm.cnc.free.fr/en/index.html

thanks for sharing. great pic's.

After you cut the foam, what is normally used to finish the foam product? is it just paint? latex? fiber glass? just curious to know.
    Thanks
    menomana

A variety of composite methods are used, from packing tape to vacuum bagged carbon and kevlar skins. Depends on the application, I mostly build slope sailplanes so they need to be durable and rigid so they get a carbon spar with fiberglass reinforced packing tape sub-covering and a heat shrink outer skin.

Thanks, I would like to learn more about the different methods used.
    Do you know of a web site that explains these concepts further? Or perhaps a few good books?
    Thanks again
    menomana

Hello Sleedo,

Can you post the parts you used and maybe some more closer detailed pictures. If you bought stuff from Home Depot, can you list the part #'s please. I think there are a few of us that would like to build one. I picked up 4 stepper motors in the last few days. I am now looking at the driver boards, so If you could make a shopping list per say, I will be shopping this week! :cheers:

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Wow, it's been nearly a year since I set this system up and it's just getting attention now. I'm excited that my work has been appreciated by you guys and I would like to express my appreciation for all of the folks that I got my info from. I think I will have a really hard time remembering every-where and one that I gleaned an idea from but I will try to help out with the big stuff.

First off, trubleshtr, look here for info on a good method for finishing EPP wings, works well for EPS too but there may be better methods for rigid foam;
    read here from post #67 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=628341&page=5
    Here's another link from my same friend as he explains the method in more depth; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525688
    Bookmark RC Groups, if you are into RC planes you cannot find a better source of continuous information flowing about all related subjects.

Micro Rotors, do yourself a favor and buy a kit from Dave at HobbyCNC: http://www.hobbycnc.com/4aupcwhc.php he offers great support and his product works, flatout the best investment I made. I tried a crappy used board and I wasted alot of time and a little money, wish I went with Dave from the start.

The rest of the parts are fairly off the shelf, literally, the bases are 8x36" shelves. the upright gantries are 8x24" and I cut an 8x16 in half for the bases. There are 3 pairs of drawer slides, I forget the dimension but it shouldn't be hard to figure out the lengths needed. Some various corner brackets and L and T brackets. The lead screws and nuts were specially purchased. The screws were bought from Enco, here's my order info:
    Model No. Description Qty. Price Ext. Price
    408-0200 1/2-10 X 3' ACME THREADED ROD 1 $4.59 $4.59
    408-0220 1/2-10 6'LENGTH ACME THREADED ROD 1 $6.99 $6.99
    As you can see, they weren't expensive. The flanged nut were bought on ebay for $12.00 for 4 but I can't find them now, may have to work something out for those. The motor mounts are tool hangers, like you'd hang a broom in the garage on, from HD. Let me post some new pics and you guys can let me know what else you want to know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails epsn0095.jpg   epsn0091.jpg   epsn0087.jpg   epsn0097.jpg  

epsn0107.jpg  

Can You Use Mach Software To Cut ?
    If Yes, What Other Conversion Software To G-code From A Dfx File ?
    Live life like you never see another day

Mach software will work the motors but to get the ability to run 2 x axis motors at different rates for a tapered wing might prove challenging.
    thanks
    Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by venomx999 View Post
    Can You Use Mach Software To Cut ?
    If Yes, What Other Conversion Software To G-code From A Dfx File ?
    I have used GMFC, Jedicut and Foamlinx so far, I am only interested in cutting wings and fuses at this point so I have not tried any other types of software.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleedo View Post
    I have used GMFC, Jedicut and Foamlinx so far, I am only interested in cutting wings and fuses at this point so I have not tried any other types of software.
    Sleedo,

Out of those, which one did you like the best? And if you would, could you give the pros and cons between them? I am looking for some software for my foam cutter.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12