588,208 active members*
4,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

J325 Knee Crank

The handle on my mill should be either replaced or have a handle added, but its been cut short. I made a quick replacement on my lathe which works ok but...
    My question is - is the handle unique to Tree or are there others that will fit? It would be REALLY nice to get a knee motor - can they be retrofitted?

Bill

My 325 uses a standard knee mill crank. I think it is the same as on a bridgeport.

Adding a powered knee would be no problem as you should have an extra slot on your servo drive chassis. Personally, I would rather add a 4th axis rotary table.

I love my 325 but it desperately needs a tool changer.... I think this will be my next endeavor.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by anitel View Post
    My 325 uses a standard knee mill crank. I think it is the same as on a bridgeport.

Adding a powered knee would be no problem as you should have an extra slot on your servo drive chassis. Personally, I would rather add a 4th axis rotary table.

I love my 325 but it desperately needs a tool changer.... I think this will be my next endeavor.

Thomas

Huh? The power knee option was just a AC motor. Nothing to do with the drives. Servo should make a power knee unit to fit the Trees. They used to years ago. It takes a lot more power to move a Tree knee than a bridgeport. The saddle and table are a lot heavier.

elnerdo,
    That's good to know but... cha-ching they must be gold plated...I'll try and see if the Tree has a unique crank or if a "standard" Bridgeport handle could work. For now I'll use the one I have. The only reason I asked is that I've had to raise the table several times this weekend and it's a pain...lowering it is a piece of cake... My quick and dirty handle I made this morning made a huge difference but since my crank is short it would be nice to gain back some more leverage...

Bill

The bridgeport handle didn't fit my machine. I think the problem was the number of teeth on the dog face. I ended up fabricating my own from a handle I bought from Mcmaster Carr. I bent the handle to clear the knee, and then welded a sleeve into the handle.

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...t/IMG_0121.jpg

It works like a hose, but would love to have a power knee. If anyone has one they'd like to sell (broken or not) send me a pm!

Did you cut the teeth? It looks great!!

Thanks. I didn't cut the teeth. I found someone selling off the parts to a J310 and took the mating part to the crank handle. It made life a little simpler.