587,997 active members*
1,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

JGRO questions

I am using Alibre Xpress to model the JGRO and have questions ... Please do NOT move the thread...

Anyway the gantry sides have 3 blind holes on the lower front spaced at .375 , 1.438 and 2.5 and the gantry front has 3 holes at .375 , 1.375 and 2.375.

Should these holes not align?

Next issue....

From the jgro router, the y linear bearing angles.... the 90 degree edge has 2 spots that are chamfered..... HOW can I do this? I can chamfer the entire edge

Quote Originally Posted by randyf1965
    Next issue....

From the jgro router, the y linear bearing angles.... the 90 degree edge has 2 spots that are chamfered..... HOW can I do this? I can chamfer the entire edge
    Use a grinder, it is only there to get the head of the bolt low enought so it does not hit the pipe rail.

the 90 degree edge has 2 spots that are chamfered..... HOW can I do this? I can chamfer the entire edge
    Is this an Alibre question?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Next issue....

Certainly don't flatten the whole edge! It will severely weaken the angle.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    Is this an Alibre question?
    oops i should have caught on to that... lol

HAHAHA

Sorry, yes Alibre related question...

I assumed the holes I mentioned in the 1st question were supposed to line up.

the 90 degree edge has 2 spots that are chamfered..... HOW can I do this? I can chamfer the entire edge
    Not sure what they call it in Alibre, but you create a "cutting" part and subtract it the chamfered part.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I had to add a new plane 45 degrees to the x axis on the corner of the angle. Then I was able to draw the rectangle for the cutout and extrude cut it down .125" .

This is a VERY cool tool for a free app!

Learning alot about how the router is built without wasting wood!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y Linear Bearing - cnc_dtl25.jpg  

You could also create a plane parallel to the end of the angle offset the distance to the hole. Then project the outer 90 degree edges of the angle to that plane. Add a line at 45 degrees to form the triangular chamfer shape and then trim the projected lines to it. Then extrude-cut the sketch midplane to the desired length.

There are many ways to achieve the same result. Stick with what works for you.

I am sure there are a bunch of different ways to do things.... problem is when you don't know what they call what you want to do , makes it hard to look it up in a manual!

So I ask questions and use trial and error... save the part before I try something strange in case I can't undo it.

Not a question but I have all the pieces drawn and am starting to put together the assemblies......

The 2nd picture is the replacement gantry for my router (once it is finished and can make it's own replacement parts!) 5'6x10.5"x3" (I think) using 1/4" plywood Joe2000che-style. Outer skin removed to show inner torsion assembly, the 2 hard points on both end are 3/4".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry Assembly - Alibre Design Xpress(1).jpg   New Gantry Assembly - Alibre Design Xpress(1).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by randyf1965 View Post
    Next issue....

I used a flat file. I could have used my grinder, but the file was quicker.

Anyway the gantry sides have 3 blind holes on the lower front spaced at .375 , 1.438 and 2.5 and the gantry front has 3 holes at .375 , 1.375 and 2.375.

Should these holes not align?
    I just noticed that no one has answered this question. Good attention to detail, randyf1965.

Yes the holes should align. I didn't catch it when I measured and drilled the Gantry Front (CNC_DTL20). The three holes should be spaced at 0.375", 1.438", and 2.500" to match the bolt and dowel pin holes in the Gantry - Left Side (CNC_DTL16) and Gantry - Right Side (CNC_DTL17).

I had to break out the oblong drill bit to make some oval holes to correct the alignment problem that arose from the incorrect drawing dimensions, but it all worked out OK.
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!