588,483 active members*
4,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 19 of 88 917181920212969
    Thanks JOE :cheers:

flip'in awesom joe! I vote for a sub-forum for you machine...

I'll second that proposal. Three cheers for Joe.

Jason

Thanks Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmytyk
    flip'in awesom joe! I vote for a sub-forum for you machine...
    Thanks, and thanks everyone..

I would be open to sugestions on that you mean by sub-forum?

Joe

Thank You for your hard work and consideration to others. This is what the CNC Zone is all about.
    What is possible? What you will!

Downloaded your drawings and they are very helpful indeed. I have printed them out now and going through them. Thanks alot again.

Joe could you list the motors you are using and the electrics you are using to drive them .

Secondly, did the machine operated as you expected ,perhaps better in some aspects or perhaps lacking a little in others were the operating speeds satisfactory.

A comment if I may it is amazing to me at least how these DUI machines built by educated amateurs [and using basically off the shelf materials] have developed and are rivaling the major manufacturers regarding the tolerances they are capable of holding

Quote Originally Posted by mike hide

A comment if I may it is amazing to me at least how these DUI machines built by educated amateurs [and using basically off the shelf materials] have developed and are rivaling the major manufacturers regarding the tolerances they are capable of holding
    I don't recommend running these machines drunk, even if they can "walk the line"
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by mike hide
    Joe could you list the motors you are using and the electrics you are using to drive them .

Secondly, did the machine operated as you expected ,perhaps better in some aspects or perhaps lacking a little in others were the operating speeds satisfactory.

As mentioned earlier, I use the Hobbycnc 3-axis 200oz kit, cutting at 80ipm and very happy with machine.

Joe

I just wanted to say thank you for providing all this to the community. Way to go.

One question: I can't find anywhere...how much HDPE do we need, and how thick is it? On another note, a local lumberyard (menard's) started carrying recycled HDPE sheets for $60/4x8 sheet. It seems a little softer than other HDPE I have, but its relatively cheap.

regards,
    John

John,

Most of the HDPE parts are 0.75 inch thick with the exception of the motor spacers (standoffs) which are 0.5 inch thick (you can use the edrawings and measure things like thicknesses from there that you can't see in the dwg's).

Virgin HDPE would probably be better I would think. I looked quickly and added things up and you might be able to squeese everything out of a 12 X 48 inch piece (and an old cutting board for the standoffs).

If I remember right the piece of virgin material I was looking at of this size at mcmaster-carr was about $45

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio
    John,

Most of the HDPE parts are 0.75 inch thick with the exception of the motor spacers (standoffs) which are 0.5 inch thick (you can use the edrawings and measure things like thicknesses from there that you can't see in the dwg's).

Virgin HDPE would probably be better I would think. I looked quickly and added things up and you might be able to squeese everything out of a 12 X 48 inch piece (and an old cutting board for the standoffs).

If I remember right the piece of virgin material I was looking at of this size at mcmaster-carr was about $45

Steven
    the only other pieces that are 0.50" are the two vertical pieces under the Z-axis anti-backlash nut, you can see them in the picture i have for the rear of the Z-axis showing bearing slides.

joe

Im a expericanced custom cabinet / wood worker .... but a cnc newbie ... been readin this thread ... very...impressed joe with your cnc toy...

maybe someone can now design....a cnc router lath? with your cnc router
    now that would be way cooooooool.

your quoted
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    As mentioned earlier, I use the Hobbycnc 3-axis 200oz kit, cutting at 80ipm and very happy with machine.

Joe
    t

what are the spec or model for your steppers, i may have missed that info, also what do u use to run the cnc, what application? do u run it striaght from soildworks or auto cad? ist free wear

does any have an projects the make with the router ie furniture
    or doors or 3d engravings. just would like to see what kind of milling ie carving one can do with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by eloid
    Im a expericanced custom cabinet / wood worker .... but a cnc newbie ... been readin this thread ... very...impressed joe with your cnc toy...

maybe someone can now design....a cnc router lath? with your cnc router
    now that would be way cooooooool.

your quoted t

what are the spec or model for your steppers, i may have missed that info, also what do u use to run the cnc, what application? do u run it striaght from soildworks or auto cad? ist free wear

does any have an projects the make with the router ie furniture
    or doors or 3d engravings. just would like to see what kind of milling ie carving one can do with this ?
    Here is the hardware i use...

http://www.hobbycnc.com/4aupcpkg.php

Mach3 controlling software / with new cam software called lazycam.

http://www.machsupport.com/artsoft/index/index.htm

and good v-carving software for cabinets, misc. carvings, and also have a photo carve...

http://www.vectric.com/index.htm

These you will find to be about the cheapest to go, with the highest quality that matches, thousand dollar programs.

joe

what type of steper is this unipolar?

what type of steper is this unipolar?

Hi Joe,

When you get a chance to think about it, do you use the same diameter cutter when doing all the HDPE parts, or do you change cutters depending on the diameter of the actual cut. The .02 dia holes can all be handles with a 3/16 bit (as can all the larger cuts).

Thanks
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio
    Hi Joe,

When you get a chance to think about it, do you use the same diameter cutter when doing all the HDPE parts, or do you change cutters depending on the diameter of the actual cut. The .02 dia holes can all be handles with a 3/16 bit (as can all the larger cuts).

Thanks
    Steven
    the 3/4" HDPE is cut with a 1/4" same as all the MDF, and the 1/2" thick is with a 1/8" bit.

A trick i use is if a part needs a smalled dia. hole when using the 1/4" bit is to make a small indention 0.05" with the 1/4" bit then after the part is cut out use drill press and drill the holes in the center of the indention as needed. An example is the anti-backlash nuts for the Y and X Axis (6 of them in the larger base peace) just make an indention then drill and tap with the 1/4-20.

diy 3 axis stepper control plans

has any made there own 3 or 4 axis stepper controller
    would liketo build one, does anyoone have a link?, to any good plans or advice
    on what plans are most current, with chips that are availiable?
    i seen one with the l297 l298l chips

which is the most popular way?
    i seen the 5804 but dont think there available any more?

joe,

ive been lurking here and elsewhere for over a year, just trying to put the whole DYI CNC router thing in my head straight. i come back last night after months of being absent, and WOW!!! you have done it!!! your whole design makes me want to take action and forget sleep.

the only thing that is keeping my hand off the credit card is that i need your 49x97" design you are working on, as most of the plywood i cut is 35-42".

do you think that the 200oz motors from hobbycnc will be powerful enough? or will i have to look elsewhere?

im sure you have lots to do, but any general timetable on the 49x97 design?

i just want to thank you again for all of your hard work and help.

vid

Page 19 of 88 917181920212969