588,434 active members*
5,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Just got an '02 VF2...quick leveling ?

Just got an '02 VF2...quick leveling ?

I just took delivery of a used VF2 this past Thursday, I finally finished all the wiring and now I need to level the thing. Im doing what the book tells me to but it doesnt mention anything about vibration pads. The previous owner used them and gave them to me, I have them installed right now but im wondering if they are good to use or will they just cause leveling problems in the long run? Attached is a pic......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00414_.jpg  

i have the same machine and dont see why you would need them
    if the machine is vibrating that bad there is something wrong with it
    take them out and put the cups right on the floor

I have several VF machines and do not use vibration pads on any of them, they are just straight on an ordinary concrete floor using the Haas feet.

I would not expect the pads will make much difference one way or the other. You should check the level after the machine has been running for a few weeks anyway.

Some hints that may help things go smoother:

Lubricate the jacking screws with a good extreme pressure grease including the dimple in the foot.

Back the center pair of jacking screws off the feet and level using the four corners then bring these ones down onto the feet until you feel a torque resistance a bit less than you needed to move the front jacking screws.

Don't expect to feel the same torque resistance on all the screws. The book says something about tightening them to the same tension but that is impossible, there is more machine weight on the pair at the back.

A trick I have used to make things a bit simpler is put a stubby hydraulic power pack cylinder in the center of the front and lift the machine slightly off the front feet. Now level side to side using the back screws; this is easier because you are working on only three points. Once you have it level sideways use the power pack for the front to back; this is easier than going reefing on the jacking screws through the holes. When it is level front to back and side to side bring the front screws down onto the feet and tighten each one a little at a time until they both have the same tension. Check the level in both direction while doing this. Then bring the center screws down as mentioned above.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the tips guys....im going to take them out and level the machine tonight!

-Jim