588,562 active members*
4,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 14 23456
    I am in need of help figuring out what to do about CAD programming. NCstudio and ARTcam seems ok for engravings and simple stuff. But NCstudio will not load my SolidCAM files unless I paste the G-Code in a .nc file.
    I need to be able to cut out my SolidWorks designs, but not sure what to do about it.

Since I am connected to the CNC via the NCstudio card and not a parallel port cable, I'm not sure if I can configure Mach3 for use.
    I either need to find a way to load my solidworks/cam files, or another CAM program that I can design more complex parts with and save the toolpaths as a .nc file.

Hey Viroy;
    Nice machine. All said and done, well, working with those across the big pond is at a minimum a PITA. As long as your machine works as expected and your satisfied with the price, then good for you.
    In this CNC hobby/business, it seems that everything always ends up costing just a bit more than we expect anyway.
    As for software, Bobcad is a good deal for us hobby folks. They will give you a break on the price if you haggle with them. I'll most likely get slammed for recommending bobcad but I like it and it was fairly easy to learn.
    Also, until you get use to the machine, you may want to consider an MDF spoilboard for those unexpected z negative moves that tend to eat your table. Keep america beautiful (along with that nice looking machine).
    Thanks for all the pix and the posting of your adventure. Good luck!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Just like Bill I use BobCad. It was inexpensive compared to most. It can be difficult at times but it works good for me with multiple machines.

Ok I'm getting more comfortable with the CAD/CAM software and moved up to aluminum.
    End mill: 3mm, 3 flute, 38 degree high helix, uncoated
    Stock: 1.5" square 6061 Aluminum
    Feed rate: 160mm/min = 6.3 IPM
    Step down: .5mm
    RPM: 20,000

There is one serious problem I have to resolve, but I think I may know what the solution is.
    If you look at the bottom of the pocket in pic2 (part2.jpg), you can see theres aluminum caked against the lower part of the walls, you can also see this happening in the smaller pocket on pics 1 & 3... the bigger pocket is fine though.
    I think the problem is simply caused by the aluminum clippings getting packed in by the endmill bit due to the small diameter of the pocket.
    Solution: Build vacuum system to remove the cast off material from milling?

Im guessing the build-up on the walls is due to the material milled away, is not leaving the pocket and getting pressed together by the endmill.
    There is aluminum also caked inside the channels of the endmill bit seen in pics 4 & 5. Once I reached 15mm depth on the pocket in pic2, it started getting really loud all of a sudden, so I shut it down and took these pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part1.jpg   part2.jpg   part3.jpg   bit1.jpg  

bit2.jpg  

I also noticed a serious design flaw with the CNC.
    The gantry is not reinforced on the X axis. It is only supported by the 2 rails that hold the Z axis assembly. At higher IPM rates, X axis moves will cause the gantry to wobble back and forth on that axis. I can also hear the endmill skimming the sides of the stock during this wobble, so I have to slow it down.
    The top of the gantry does have a good edge, so I believe I will be able to weld a metal bar across the top. Im hoping that will make it much more rigid and stop that wobble.

Hi Viroy, I have just ordered a similar machine and it also comes with NCStudio as I think all these ones do, have you looked further at how to use generic Mach3 gcode instead with this machine?

Is it so simple as to generate the code using Aspire or Artcam, and then load it through NCStudio?

Have you also got some photos you can put up of the unsupported axis problem, along with any pics/details of the drivers, stepper models, etc?

cheers,
    Ian

Actually NCStudio and Mach3 seem to be identical when it comes to G-Code.
    Every design I have made works flawlessly with NCStudio. Machine settings, jog controls and views are easy to work with... so I havent pursued Mach3.
    I did some research though and did find articles of people using Mach3 with PCI card controllers (such as the NCStudio card), seems its just a configuration issue for converting Mach3 from the parallel port to the card.

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    Actually NCStudio and Mach3 seem to be identical when it comes to G-Code.
    Every design I have made works flawlessly with NCStudio. Machine settings, jog controls and views are easy to work with... so I havent pursued Mach3.
    I did some research though and did find articles of people using Mach3 with PCI card controllers (such as the NCStudio card), seems its just a configuration issue for converting Mach3 from the parallel port to the card.
    That would be great if Mach3 would just work with the card! I'm a slow learner and would just be happy continuing with Mach3 as it took me ages to really be able to use it properly and there are parts i'm sure I still don't understand today, but I'll have to try and get to grips with NCStudio anyway I guess.

The only actual settings I had to configure in NCStudio were under the I/O TAB in the "manufactory" settings (yes its actually spelled that way).... password = ncstudio.
    In there you will need to make sure your steps per pulse and the max RPM is set properly, you can also set spindle spoolup wait time and jog rates in there.
    After that you just have to zero out, load GCode and hit start.
    I believe .NC is the only file extension it looks for, I always rename my GCode output files from .TAP to .NC and it works great.
    I have been using a modified FANUC post-processor with no troubles, (I just modified the max RPM rate and default home/toolchange points)

I have also been thinking about the rotary (4th) axis that I purchased with it.
    The machine only has 3 controllers and when I asked Jimmy at SaleCNC how I connect the 4th, he says to unplug the X axis and plug in the rotary.
    I have no experience with rotary axis, so I will get this figure out another day.

In a worst case scenario that I really need 4 controllers, I was thinking of getting a GeckoDrive 540 since that has 4 controllers and is Mach3 ready.
    Seems to me that would be a quick, easy and relatively cheap conversion... my computer has a parallel port, so with a breakout board and some rewiring, I think it is feasible.

Found this reply to a similar question here on the zone:

If you want to use Mach3, I suggest you to change the board to PMDX122 from USA, cheap and work great with mach3.
    You need to trace out the wire for motor driver ( usually 3 wire each drive), wire for sensor X,Y,Z . PMDX122 can support 12Vdc Sensor.

Also interested in Purchase of SalesCNC Unit as Viroy

Hello Viroy,
    Well, i have nil experience with CNC.. So your well ahead of me! I also have been in contact with SalesCNC for the past month and with a guy called "Jimmy" about the exact same setup that you have decided on. I noticed that anything I asked that was detailed, I always received no response, English was suddenly a problem. But straight out Inquiry on purchasing the units - presented no problems at all, in fact a completed Invoice was sent to me within hours, even though it just an inquiry.

Can you let me know how you go with yours when you get it? Quality, any problems etc.. Anyone else that is reading this that has a similar unit purchased from SalesCNC, let me know your experiences re Delivery time, Unit Quality and performance etc..

Graham

still good value

All the cons you mentioned.. most of them were not salecnc issues.

I am also waiting on

tech specs for the 1200x2400 model. But its been a day with no answer..

I still think I'll go ahead. With an electronics background I think the chassis, bearings, and drive system alone is worth this amount. If I get some useful life out of the unit before electrical failure - bonus. I'll then install known good components and still come out miles ahead.

Thanks heaps for your updates.

Ohh by the way I save as dxf from solidworks then import into vectric 2d, create tool paths, save g-code, load in mach3 - works a charm!

Stump:
    I've had the machine for a month now, please read the previous 5 pages of this thread for more detail.

Fle33:
    Actually all the problems I had were directly because of SaleCNC.
    They did not ship the freight properly and cost me alot of money in customs fines, customs went easy on me as they could have simply denied entry and sent it back across the pond.
    SaleCNC included the wrong wrenches, wrong size T-slot bolts, one rusty collet, relayed incorrect step pulse ratings, packaged the wrong software version, sent an underrated power cable with a plug that is not available in the USA, and sent a 220v water pump instead of 110v. They also could not provide any support when it came to trying to figure out why the software wasnt working (turned out to be chinese version without driver, had to download USA version from 3rd party)

Luckily the machine itself is very nice, very quiet. My only complaint is that the gantry is not reinforced... instead, the X-axis rails are the only thing that holds the top of the gantry together which causes it to 'wobble' during movements.
    There is a nice edge on the top, so I am planning to weld a metal bar across to improve rigidity.

It is obvious that SaleCNC and JCut are both reselling machines made by a company called 'Guangdong motion control'. They simply re-brand it with their company name and then do a crappy job of providing accessories and support. My CNC is stamped with a manufacturers tag, and it's not saleCNC... thats how I discovered they are re-branding.

Still, for the price, I dont think it can be beat!
    I like the solid iron frame, the 2.2kw water-cooled spindle cuts aluminum easily and is super quiet!
    I would order from them again... but, If you plan to order one, just make sure you check out all the customs laws.
    For the USA, any import with a value of $1,999 or greater, must be bonded PRIOR to being shipped!!! Otherwise they can deny entry, ship it back and then fine you up to $10,000.

Re: Detailed Reply on SalesCNC Product n Firm

Thankyou Viroy, for your detailed response, it is much appreciated. I wonder if trying to purchase directly from the Makers you mentioned would have any benefits in Unit Support and Technical Questions? Rather then a middleman who obvioiusly does not know that much and hides behide not being able to understand plain written english - that is my experiance, when I asked him about previous discontented customers / sales.. Either ignored my questions completely or made a feeble excuse that he "Would try to do better by me" Which does not give me much by way of confidance at all. But you are correct, Bang for Dollar you cannot beat it, even if you do have to do a lot of work on it.. When comaped with what you can get for the same money from Sateside or Australian Distributers - it is a mere hobby machine with a tiney work area and a spindle - well, it is not worth even going there..

I will do a seearch for the Guangdong Machinery Co-op or whatever they call themselves and see if I get hold of a Knowledgable EWnglish speaking employee' who can say if they will sell direct or not.. But I guess one is opening a whole new can of worms with no previous delivery or relibility history being available for them.. But I guess Alibaba or similar sites should have a record for them - regards reliability etc..

Thanks once again for your reply, and good luck in sorting out the minor problems.. Perhaps you can publish a picture of your strengthening Mod' to the X Axis when you get time to do it?

Cheers

Stump'

Yes if you can find the actual manufacturer, im sure not only will you get better tech support, but also probably save alot of money on a purchase.
    I wonder though if like many manufacturers, they cannot sell retail... in the USA I know it's illegal for a manufacturer to directly sell to the public due to monopoly laws. There has to be a distributor or sister company separated.
    Thats why we always have to buy new cars from a dealer rather than being able to cut out the middle man and buy directly from the factory.
    I have no idea about China laws though.

The Support bar is #2 on my to do list... I will take pics
    #1 is to make table/holding clamps for stock.
    I just finished making a vacuum shroud that attaches to the spindle... had to cut it from 3 sides! Tricky, but I learned quite a bit in the process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Re: SalesCNC

Hi Viroy,

Yes, you are most likely correct re the supply chain from Manufacturer's. In any case, I ran the name you gave me through the search engines as well as Alibaba and received Zero Hits... No sign of any Company with that name, selling these CNC Products, which is a bit of a worry, or perhaps they just don't like to advertise themselves?

Could be bankrupted etc.. but in any case, you can adapt these Sturdy Base Assemblies to fit Electronic Hardware of your own liking .. Meanwhile, I will have to make a decision wether to go with the present Mob - as you have done.. I will check with Auzzie Customs tomorrow for their rules etc re: the Importation of these units.. if no problems, I will bite the bullit I think... For as you said, they are great value..
    Cheer's.... Stump

Try "automation maker", I think that is the name stamped as the manufacturer

Jimmy wrote today to ask about my experience so far and what they can do to be better! Surprised me!
    I informed him of the needed gantry support, not sure if they will act on it.
    Nice gesture though.

Hello all,

I am completely new to all this CNC stuff, but have been following this thread with great interest. As I know virtually nothing about NCstudio or Mach3 this information may be totally useless, but I did find this page on the SaleCNC site. It contains an XML file named Mach 3 Setup *.XML that may possibly help with the 'conversion' of the machines mentioned here (SaleCNC) to use Mach3, or then again, maybe not.

SALE CNC Router Milling, CNC Laser, CNC plasma machine, China, Servo Motor Drive, UK, USA, Italy, Spain, Thailand

Stump, as a fellow Aussie, I'd like to know how you got/get on with customs regarding the import of these machines.

regards,
    Simon

@ Stump

Hey stump, I'm in Melburn.. I almost bought the xj1325 with all bells and whistles, quoted $900 for shipping by jimmy, which I thought was a steal..
    Then I read this.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/663428-post12.html

I can't afford the unknown costs of AQIS, corrupt warfies fee's, fines, and the headache of a broker so I'm now going to do a Joes Hybrid build.

I'll probably still buy my guides and spindle from salecnc though.

Page 4 of 14 23456