588,662 active members*
5,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 14 7891011
    Hey Viroy WOW this is awesome. I cannot wait to jmake payment and get delivery
    My buy is about R56,000 which is a ton of money lol but i am sure by next week I will place the order. Now to learn 3d cad. Long road ahead

SolidWorks and SolidCam have free training videos online.
    They are quite comprehensive and great for a first time user, thats how I learned it.
    For artsy stuff like the Harley sign, I use 'Vcarve Pro'... this program is super simple to use and produces excellent results.

Great machine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1255-2.jpg   100_1263-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    SolidWorks and SolidCam have free training videos online.
    They are quite comprehensive and great for a first time user, thats how I learned it.
    For artsy stuff like the Harley sign, I use 'Vcarve Pro'... this program is super simple to use and produces excellent results.
    Thanks a million for that info. There is SO much out there and i guess it is intimidating to think of an idea and then the process required to get to a finished product. Just the first step of actually creating this so that it is 3D on the screen in a CAD program may be a mission LOL - i will check out those programs and Vcarve!

Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    Great machine!
    Hey EBC - GREAT work there. Which machine are you using? Obviously longer than 1200mm? That black accent in the carving - what did you use for that? How do you go about cleaning up "mistakes" etc?

I'm curious about that gold fleck paint on there... very neat look.

WOW awesome machine EBC!! Maybe that's the next one LOL this 1212 when it comes must make its money.

Mesmerizing pattern, very neat!

Hey Guys

I can see some awesonme stuff here so perhaps yuo can answer my question - being VERY new to CNC and anyting CAD/CAM related I am intending to use Rhinoceros for design and EMC2 or MACH3 to do the work. Am i on the right track?

If i design something in Rhino can i get it CNC'd by EMC2 or MACH3? OR should i work backward - Mach3/EMC2 - then what happens before that?

Sounds like stupid questions but I understand the logic to a certain degree BUT i am not sure what software to best use from start to finish.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Hi Sean,

Not a stupid question, everyone has to start somewhere. Your first assumption is correct. Rhino is the CAD/CAM software that you design your project in. You'll also define the cutters used, the toolpaths, speeds and feeds, and depth of cut. Most is this is fairly straight forward, don't worry. You'll find plenty of Rhino help around here.

Once you've designed your project, and set all the cutting paths and settings, you generate what is called a gcode file. This file is generally ascii format, and is then used by the cnc controller software, Mach3 and EMC, they simply take the gcode generated by CAD/CAM software and stream this to the CNC controller board to machine the project. I prefer Mach3, but many people also prefer EMC, now called LinuxCNC, I'd recommend trying a demo of Mach3 and getting the free LinuxCNC and just get a feel for it. If you download a copy of LinuxCNC you can run it on your PC in a "Live Demo" mode where it runs off the booted cd, not installed so your PC isn't touched.

Cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hey Ian

Thanks a million for the response. Well i have my money together now just to do the payment to SaleCNC for the XJ1212 can't wait. It is comming Mach3 ready so i will give that a go first perhaps or dual boot the PC for both Windows and Linux!

Thanks for the hint about running in live demo mode! This feels so daunting hahaha but i am sure i wil get the hang of it in no time...

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Hi Sean,

Not a stupid question, everyone has to start somewhere. Your first assumption is correct. Rhino is the CAD/CAM software that you design your project in. You'll also define the cutters used, the toolpaths, speeds and feeds, and depth of cut. Most is this is fairly straight forward, don't worry. You'll find plenty of Rhino help around here.

Once you've designed your project, and set all the cutting paths and settings, you generate what is called a gcode file. This file is generally ascii format, and is then used by the cnc controller software, Mach3 and EMC, they simply take the gcode generated by CAD/CAM software and stream this to the CNC controller board to machine the project. I prefer Mach3, but many people also prefer EMC, now called LinuxCNC, I'd recommend trying a demo of Mach3 and getting the free LinuxCNC and just get a feel for it. If you download a copy of LinuxCNC you can run it on your PC in a "Live Demo" mode where it runs off the booted cd, not installed so your PC isn't touched.

Cheers,
    Ian

Hey Viroy

I have also ordered the 4th axis with the XJ1212 BUT now i am worrying about the clearance for the Z axis above the 4th Axis. It is standard 70mm BUT i have asked for 150mm - I am concerned I am going to have a problem with milling something round if i can't fit an end mill, or an end mill i want to use depending on length, because i do not have enough Z axis clearance above my work piece. Hope i made sense.

Did you take a 4th Axis and what was your Z axis height?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Hello machinists!,
    I just purchased a new CNC machine from salecnc.com, they were very friendly and could accommodate my travel needs. I looked around prior to purchasing from salecnc but couldnt find anyone with a good writeup on their machines, so I will take pictures and give details from delivery to the first few cuts... I could use some help too

Product page:
    SALE CNC Router Milling, CNC Laser, CNC plasma machine, China, Servo Motor Drive, UK, USA, Italy, Spain, Thailand

Picture of the XJ6090 machine + 4th axis rotary attachment from their catalog:

The system is supposed to come with everything needed to start cutting shortly after delivery, no assembly, I provide PC. I believe it even comes with a set of end-mill bits. It is being freighted to a location about 1-hour drive from me and expected to arrive in about 30 days. Weight is estimated 600lbs, so to pick it up I need to rent a truck with hydraulic 'tommy' lift on the back.
    I decided on a salecnc model XJ6090, but modified to include:
    5" Z-axis
    2.2kw water cooled spindle
    4th axis rotary attachment.

I was a CNC operator at a previous job, but the machine was all ready in running condition when I started... so I only loaded programs & material, changed bits and did basic operations. I am not exactly sure what should be done prior to the first cut, and will be cutting my own designs for the first time.
    My primary purpose is cutting many 3"x3" aluminum boxes designed in solidworks, out of large aluminum slabs (as big as will fit in the cut area), I could really use some help getting setup for first my first time use with mach 3 & solid works for cutting aluminum.
    I have Mach 3 installed on the PC to be used with the CNC, what settings and configurations do I need to make?
    I need to make a 'pre-flight' checklist of everything to do.
    I appreciate all help

Eternal: Please do not advertise in this thread. There are places elsewhere for that.

Yes I would highly recommend the added Z height.
    I believe standard is only 4"... I had mine upgraded to 8" Z-axis height.
    I also ordered a 4th axis rotary. The system only came with 3 controllers though, I had to order a 4th controller and a Mach-3 board to replace the NCStudio board.
    Normally they say to unplug the Y-axis motor on the gantry and plug in the rotary axis instead. If you need true 4-axis control, better ask about an extra controller for the rotary or you might not get one.

Hey viroy

I have asked that all 4 axis have controlers and that it is Mach3 ready! I also ordered the higher Z axis - 150mm now rather than 70mm. Jimmy said that is fine for the 100mm 4th Axis and the spindle can be raised if i need more clearance. I have also ordered the MPG remote for Mach3.

Eternal: Please do not advertise in this thread. There are places elsewhere for that.

Yes I would highly recommend the added Z height.
    I believe standard is only 4"... I had mine upgraded to 8" Z-axis height.
    I also ordered a 4th axis rotary. The system only came with 3 controllers though, I had to order a 4th controller and a Mach-3 board to replace the NCStudio board.
    Normally they say to unplug the Y-axis motor on the gantry and plug in the rotary axis instead. If you need true 4-axis control, better ask about an extra controller for the rotary or you might not get one.

Can i ask a question - I am looking to getting a collet set so that I am not limited in terms of end mills BUT I am not sure which collets to get?

Is it ER11, 16, 20 AND 25 that will work in the 2.2KW spindle?

AH wait - if i am correct the 2.2Kw uses ER20 collets only?

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    Can i ask a question - I am looking to getting a collet set so that I am not limited in terms of end mills BUT I am not sure which collets to get?

Is it ER11, 16, 20 AND 25 that will work in the 2.2KW spindle?

AH wait - if i am correct the 2.2Kw uses ER20 collets only?
    Last line yep generally, the ER20's are quite large and should suit you fine. You can get proper metric and imperial sets, so you can then use all your 1/4" and 1/2" carbide router bits as well as standard mills! Bonus!

The 2.2kw is a really nice and beefy unit, very, very powerful but not too noisy at all in my book, certainly not compared to a hand held router anyway. You'll love using it and will wonder how you did without it.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks a mil for the info Ian. Appreciated!

I have a aluminum case with a set of router bits hehehe will do me good i am sure! WOW i am looking forward to the machine now - made payment through my bank today! I am very excited!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Last line yep generally, the ER20's are quite large and should suit you fine. You can get proper metric and imperial sets, so you can then use all your 1/4" and 1/2" carbide router bits as well as standard mills! Bonus!

The 2.2kw is a really nice and beefy unit, very, very powerful but not too noisy at all in my book, certainly not compared to a hand held router anyway. You'll love using it and will wonder how you did without it.

cheers,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    Thanks a mil for the info Ian. Appreciated!

I have a aluminum case with a set of router bits hehehe will do me good i am sure! WOW i am looking forward to the machine now - made payment through my bank today! I am very excited!
    Yeah it's great, the carbide cutters work out around $1.50-$2.50 each through ebay in the large sets, so they are cheap enough to throw out when you've destroyed them. They do last a long time though, I haven't bought router bits in years as I'm still using ones I bought over 20-30 years ago! Being able to use them on the CNC is just a fantastic bonus. I also use them for aluminium work, they do wear a lot quicker and often chip, but they last more than long enough.

cheers,
    Ian

I am having setback after setback after setback with buying this CNC!! The problem is NOT SaleCNC - in fact Jimmy has been MORE than helpful to say the VERY least.

Our country has tightened the import laws in such a way that as a private person if yuo do not understand the process, have a number of import license numbers etc etc you will have your goods land in the country and NEVER get them!

I have to now get a import agent involved in the whole process which will cost me another 10K+/-

SO frustrating!! Wish me luck! I think i am going to need it!

Page 9 of 14 7891011