588,484 active members*
5,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Larger pipes for Z axis

I have found some pipe locally which is 34mm or 1.338 inches OD, could I use the same centres for the Z axis and just scale things down in between?

I really would like to be able to use it as it only comes in 6 metre lengths.

What is the reason for the different sizes of pipe?

TIA.

A newbies opinion!

No_Name,

Ultimately you can use ANY size pipe you choose. The real question is whether or not the pipes (you are proposing) are going to deflect less (a good thing), or more (a BAD thing). My guess is that if the walls of the pipes are thicker, then there should be less deflection. Since the rails on the JGRO are unsupported, there will ALWAYS be some deflection. The decision you need to make is, how much deflection is acceptable to you. If you could do some deflection calculations, with both sizes, that will help you to make your decision. Hope this has been of some help?
    Good luck with your build and remember... A picture is worth a thousand words & video speaks volumes. :wave:

Randy.
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Thanks.

The pipe has a thicker wall, so deflection will be less I assume, which makes me wonder why the designer went for smaller pipe?

Availability? Maybe this amount of deflection was ok to him?

The reason I am so confused is, JGRO knows what he is doing, I on the other hand, don't. :rainfro:

Hello and welcome to the fun. You can use whatever you have at hand the only thing you have to remember is for every thing you change you then have to compensate by offsetting, drilling larger or smaller size holes and what have you. As far as why Jgro used a certain size anything over something else is probably due to what he had at hand at the time he designed his project, but that's just a guess. If you are worried about deflection there are quite a few unique solutions to that problem all throughout the different build logs and different threads. I would direct you to my thread as an example. Good luck with your build and as stated before if you have any questions post some accompanying (is that spelled right?) pictures. We're all just curious anyway. Tom