587,719 active members*
4,274 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutting HDPE??

A search gave me hundreds of CNC related solutions, but can you cut .25 in HDPE with 100w cutter?

I would say 'yes', but it may take several passes and the results may not be acceptable. HDPE does not cut well and you can expect a lot of melting at the edge.

ABS is a better option, and yes 1/4" won't be a problem.

Zax.

From my experience HDPE machines beautifully with CNC but when it comes to laser cutting, that's another story.
    HDPE melts rather than cuts and I needed a lot of air assist to remove the melt, then the final cut looked a bit like it had been cut with a plasma torch. I chalked this up as a failure and decided HDPE and lasers are not good friends.
    Be interested to hear others results with this material.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Thats what I was afraid of, unfortunately this is a small part similar to a gasket and .125 in wide in some places, so Tweakie, can you share, bits feeds & speeds and hold down for a 3in x 3in "gasket" with 40% of it being .125 inch wide in .25 material? I suppose I should be asking this over on the CNC side :-)

Obviously you must not get it hot so adjust feeds and speeds accordingly but any 2 flute endmill would be OK. Most of the time I use a single flute carbide, designed I think for wood.
    My preferred hold down method for most wood and plastics is double sided sticky tape onto a sacrificial MDF base.
    You can really get a beautiful surface finish on HDPE with possibly some whiskers on the edges but don't be tempted to sand it.

Tweakie.

CNC answer

That's my technique too... carpet tape onto sacrificial MDF and a SHARP 2-flute endmill. Keep the feedrate down and cut in 1 pass.

The other option is to leave a couple of tabs (bridges) to hold it in place and then either manually cut or machine them away later.

Zax.

Dubliner,

This little chap was milled from HDPE - note the slight furriness around the edges where it was cut out.

(the prancing moose was a joke for my F1 Ferrari supporter buddy who just happens to own a Volvo).

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00618a.jpg