588,620 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > last time with Bobcad

last time with Bobcad

I've been when using Bobcad since v17. Basically there were no surprises when I bought a new release. For the money, I got what I expected. There are limitations and there are work arounds as well. I knew it wasn't getting something super-sophisticated.
    After version 21 I started looking for a significant upgrade and was shopping so to speak - then 2007 was released. I wasn't unhappy with Bobcad, I was just looking for more than the existing software provided and was prepared to jump up in price to get the performance. Version 2007 appeared to fill the gap.
    I must say that I'm more than irritated and am having some remorse about the purchase of 2007. I've had it for over a month and have yet to run anything through my router generated from this software.
    First the post processor I had was not available and I took it for granted that it was, since it existed in all other previous versions. It did come along within a couple of weeks after I submitted a request- to be fair, Bobcad did follow up promptly with a phone call the day after the request was submitted.
    But now my computer crashes and does memory dumps when I attempt to do simple pocketing procedures. It's not my PC that has the problem- it is large enough to handle the software.
    There are other things that fall short in the software's performance, below earlier versions, but I won't go into that now.
    Still, some people are really happy with the new release. Go figure.

Now my budget is blown and I'm sitting on a something I can't even use.

It may be just a matter of Bobcad releasing an immature product and the bugs will get ironed out in time.
    That doesn't help me in my business though - this one has definately hurt me.

Are you interested in selling it?

You say that your computer is large enough.

Do you know what your page file size is? Do you know how to increase it?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by ICONOCLAST View Post
    Still, some people are really happy with the new release. Go figure.

Now my budget is blown and I'm sitting on a something I can't even use.

It may be just a matter of Bobcad releasing an immature product and the bugs will get ironed out in time.
    That doesn't help me in my business though - this one has definately hurt me.
    Sorry this new release with high hopes has bit you like this. True there is some work to be done to fix the issues but all in all with new releases comes bugs that need ironing.

If there is anything we at CAD/CAM Trainer can do to help ease this suffering we will try our best.

BTW: I wouldn't say that I'm 100% satisfied, more like 80%. I have yet to actually machine anything with V2007 but in time this will happen.

I do share your feelings about this release but then again didn't expect it to be 100% up to par so soon. I just wanted to start learning it a little at a time until it was ready for real situations.

http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I have actually ran parts with the new software with very good results.

The solids path (in particular the equildistant cut) made a very smooth cut.

I did alter the post to get the results I wanted though. The pocketing is great but I did make a change to get a profile the way I wanted.

Yes there are errors to contend with but very few. Mostly it is getting the post correct.

I just purchased 21 from them for this very reason, plus I got a heck of a deal on it. I think I'll wait a year or so for the bugs to get worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by bucont View Post
    I just purchased 21 from them for this very reason, plus I got a heck of a deal on it. I think I'll wait a year or so for the bugs to get worked out.
    LOL, what bugs??? There are a few things to be fixed in the drawing U/I and Posting but not too much. Most of the simpler problems have been fixed in the last update V2007.2.5. They even added Thread Milling to the list of functions.

Just like V18-V21 it will take them a little time to make these corrections. Later when the other Modules are done it will be cool to see full 4th Axis and 5th Axis Machining. There are a lot of customers waiting patiently for these like Gandalf.

Cheers!!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Dont forget they added the start point selection a few updates back. That makes even our company want to use the pocketing feature over Mazatrol. They are really stepping thing up with all the new features and getting this version to do much more than in the past.

Even though their solid modeling and skins are great and easy I would still like to see some way for them to add parametric or drawing tree history in the future. That would make them really stand out in CADCAM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Dont forget they added the start point selection a few updates back. That makes even our company want to use the pocketing feature over Mazatrol. They are really stepping thing up with all the new features and getting this version to do much more than in the past.

Even though their solid modeling and skins are great and easy I would still like to see some way for them to add parametric or drawing tree history in the future. That would make them really stand out in CADCAM.
    Lets not complicate things too much Tjones. I still want to be able to use BCC without a Total Overhaul on the Brain, LOL.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

ejdfast Guest
    V2007.5.7 update is now on our update site. It keeps getting better. Good Luck

delayed reply to everything

Working down the list of things to respond to. I've had my head buried in other people's revovations.
    Are you interested in selling it?
    No I don't want sell it. Set fire to it, maybe...I've invested enough brain cells to get my stubborn streak going.
    Do you know what your page file size is? Do you know how to increase it?
    My page file is fine.

My dongle crapped out and the new one came asap. Things are a little less herky jerky now with the newest patch.

I'm using the Mach 3 post. It is a bit hinky and requires some lines of code being moved around, otherwise the router drives into the wood and rips a trench, then turns on. Or just does program end and rewind before starting to go to work. Gotta watch out for those ones!

Right now I'm in a bit of a love / hate thing. Bobcad has been pretty good to get on top of things when I phone. Tech support option pays off - but the court is still out. I think I'm just getting really fussy about stuff.

There is a definite lack of documentation. I have yet to figure out what the Predator Virtual thingy is...how do you get a working file into it?

Nil Carborundum Illegitimus!

Quote Originally Posted by ICONOCLAST View Post
    Working down the list of things to respond to. I've had my head buried in other people's revovations.

No I don't want sell it. Set fire to it, maybe...I've invested enough brain cells to get my stubborn streak going.

My page file is fine.

My dongle crapped out and the new one came asap. Things are a little less herky jerky now with the newest patch.

I'm using the Mach 3 post. It is a bit hinky and requires some lines of code being moved around, otherwise the router drives into the wood and rips a trench, then turns on. Or just does program end and rewind before starting to go to work. Gotta watch out for those ones!

Right now I'm in a bit of a love / hate thing. Bobcad has been pretty good to get on top of things when I phone. Tech support option pays off - but the court is still out. I think I'm just getting really fussy about stuff.

There is a definite lack of documentation. I have yet to figure out what the Predator Virtual thingy is...how do you get a working file into it?

Nil Carborundum Illegitimus!
    Predator Simulator/Verification of your tool path. LOL I'm still working on this myself. If you didn't get one of the Level 1 through Level 3 Simulators then you have the Basic. If you make some tool path go to the CAM Tree>Milling Stock>Right Click Milling Stock>Select Verify. Then play the Simulation.

You can edit your post processor in Predator Editor (The Orange Icon). The Post Processor can also be edited through the Mill Post Editor found in the main BCC V2007 File on the C drive.

Predator is a good tool for this version of BCC.

If you need more in depth help BCC has a Support Forum at http://216.117.147.20/bobcadsupport/forums/

and there is also CAD/CAM Trainer at http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

Every one will be glad to help in any way they can.

BTW: The BCC Gurus Hang on CAD/CAM Trainer LOL

Cheers!!!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I do not like to badmouth anybody or any company but as far as I am concerned BobCad has lost me as a customer as well. I started Bobcad with Vr 17, then moved to 19, then to 21 and now 2007. I was talked into 2007 a few months ago because " It is the latest and best and is so easy to work with" Well this is total BS! What gets me the most is they want to sell you the 1 year tech support package when you purchase 2007.. I did not buy into the tech support because I use this software only for machining Hobby related items and the budget has a limit. Anyhow all earlier versions offered 30 or 45 day free tech support so I thought I could work through this. Guess what????? If you have a previous version of BobCad the free tech support is not included! How can a company release a completely new version that is totally different from all previous versions and not offer their customers some free support!

Quote Originally Posted by CuttingTools View Post
    I do not like to badmouth anybody or any company but as far as I am concerned BobCad has lost me as a customer as well. I started Bobcad with Vr 17, then moved to 19, then to 21 and now 2007. I was talked into 2007 a few months ago because " It is the latest and best and is so easy to work with" Well this is total BS! What gets me the most is they want to sell you the 1 year tech support package when you purchase 2007.. I did not buy into the tech support because I use this software only for machining Hobby related items and the budget has a limit. Anyhow all earlier versions offered 30 or 45 day free tech support so I thought I could work through this. Guess what????? If you have a previous version of BobCad the free tech support is not included! How can a company release a completely new version that is totally different from all previous versions and not offer their customers some free support!
    There is Free Support in the above Forums I mentioned. We don't know everything and BCC Techs Chime in Regularly. You have questions, there might be some answers for you. Give yourself a chance and ask a few questions. You might find some answers around the forums and from playing around with the software.

We will do what we can to help, but you have to ask questions here, CAD/CAM Trainer, or the BCC Support Forum.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com