588,197 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Lathe type operation on a cnc mill

Lathe type operation on a cnc mill

I have a CNC Mill, Servo II controller, Mastercam V9. I am trying to basically use the mill for a lathe type operation (don't judge, I have my reasons). I want to limit moves to X and Z axis only, lathe tool horizontal in vise. The problem obviously is swapping axis either in the cut file or in mastercam is not giving me proper results. The controller uses I,J commands for arcs in the X and Y and I,K commands in Z axis. Is there a way to trick Mastercam into simply following a contour line in the X,Z axis which is not a toolpath? Any thoughts?
    We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I have a CNC Mill, Servo II controller, Mastercam V9. I am trying to basically use the mill for a lathe type operation (don't judge, I have my reasons). I want to limit moves to X and Z axis only, lathe tool horizontal in vise. The problem obviously is swapping axis either in the cut file or in mastercam is not giving me proper results. The controller uses I,J commands for arcs in the X and Y and I,K commands in Z axis. Is there a way to trick Mastercam into simply following a contour line in the X,Z axis which is not a toolpath? Any thoughts?
    Post it in X,Y and batch edit all the Ys to Zs and Js to Ks
    You may have to add a G17, 18, or 19 to change the arc plane
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

Thanks Pondo for the reply. Here is what I discovered, I can follow a z,x contour if I use a tool and turn off all cutter compensation and center. I simply did a series of offsets I wanted for cut depths and tool pathed them. What is a little harder to wrap my mind around is I have to turn the geometry upside down and backwards from what I want the profile to be.
    We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.

Try this

TOP view being your WCS
    the geometry is drawn on the X+ axis line going in the Z- direction

Tooling...use a bullmill, the corner rad being the nose radius of your tool, adjust the diameter of the tool for how far the nose rad is off the spindle centre-line

Operation
    2D contour, use a 3D contour type, comp ( in computer)....you may move the be able to "plunge downward" and only move the tool in the X+ direction ( diam always increases, no undercutting )