587,771 active members*
3,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lead-out/negative cut-off time (OXY-Fuel)

I am having some issues creating a program that will not cause gouges on the lead-in/ lead-out lines for oxy-fuel. The main problems accure with 2in and above A514 but we are also having problems with 3-6in A36 and Gr 50. The company I am working for uses SigmaNest for plasma, laser, and Oxy-fuel programs. I am looking into this gouging issue on the leadin lines. I have tried a negative cut off equal to 1/2 kerf but the gouges persist. I am curious if anyone has had these issues and come up with a solution for all thicknesses and grades based on kerf

Hello,
    A few things can happen with thick plates. If your leadout is long, the cut stream might be deflecting against the slug if it is still in the hole and hitting the wall of the cut.
    You might try an arc leadout that has a positive gap of a few times the kerf. Do it so that the leadout arc crosses but does not pass the leadin.
    Email us if this is not detailed enough or let me know where you work.
    Kevin

Longer leads (both in and out) and follow the "lead in" with the "lead out". same path, no crossing over or merging. Get away from the drop if possible or at least make sure it is supported so It will not shift and deflect the cut stream. Getting back in the the same path is more important as the material gets thicker and more expensive, ie. your 50s and 514

Depending on how far your solenoids are from the torch could be a factor too. A short dwell to make sure the cut oxy is completly off may help. the place were the torch starts it's rapid move to the next pierce point has been both preheated and re-heated so even a little cut stream can cause a gouge.

Give it a try if your cam will let you. Good Luck!

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com