588,489 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > learning Surfcam vs. MasterCam
Page 1 of 2 12

Question learning Surfcam vs. MasterCam

I have been programming with MasterCam for a few years now and have become fairly good with it, but now I am considering a new job wich is set up with SurfCam. I have never used SurfCam and was wondering how similar or different these two programs are? any info. or experience would help. Thanx.

HOW 'BOUT EXPERIENCE!!

I been to more shops than i care to remember. But the one thing
    i take with me is experience. If your quick to learn then nothing
    stands in your way. Everyone has good and bad to talk about
    software, your only worry should be can you make it work.
    Who moves the mouse and pushes the keys. Are we not in
    control of the computer? Of course we are. Surfcam has been
    Around for quite awile, so they must have a prog. that works.
    OK i'm done venting. Hope you make the right decision.
    Lots of luck. PEACE!!!

And by the way, if you have any Mastercam ?'s feel free to
    ask me.

As Hardmill has stated you should be able to make the transition, there will be some hard times just because of the logic of the system you have been used to.

I have been on site at shops that use surfcam and found that I have been able to help the programmer with getting around in surfcam and I have used MC sense Version2.

So as stated earler Good luck if you decide to take this change in life.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to try to get some training thru this new job prospect to speed up the transition. I have not found a lot of info (books,manuals) on Surfcam, but they do offer a lot of training programs.

badRandle I say contact the local surfcam dealer and ask for the demo disk,this is a full working software except for saveing the file and posting.

This alot like the mastercam demo disk I give my students.
    Ps I would look in to one of the MC ones too so you can keep up on it just in case you come back to the MC side. :-)

If you have any trouble finding the surfcam dealer to get a disk let me know I have contacts there and they are local out here the main office.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I have used both and I prefer Surfcam. The transistion is not hard. It should not take more than a couple of weeks to become proficient.

I've only played with the demo of Surfcam.
    Been using MasterCam for a year or so now. As the other guys stated, once you learn one, the transition to another is not too tough. I've used about a dozen CAM programs over the years and once you learn the syntax and the menus you're good to go.

I just got an email from SurfCam announcing it's online interactive training. That may prove to be helpful.
    You can veiw the details at this link:
    http://www.surfware.com/news/2003/SU...-2003-0421.htm

If you want to buy any type of technical books go to OPAMP I am sure you will find Surcam books in that place. Is located in L.A. county in California, but you can do it through to the web. Go to Google,type in opamp and follow thw instructions.

Gomez107

The demo program also includes the online manual, which I might add is quite extensive, complete with video clips.

Ken

There is also a 3rd party book called Maximizing Surfcam but it runs about 70 bucks.

Brian

Angry mastercam over surfcam

I am very proficient at both softwares I used Mastercam for about 4 years and Surfcam for the last year to cut complex surface geometry mold cores, cavities, design and cut eletrodes, and I feel I am good at what I do, not the best by far but good.I dont even put these 2 softwares in the same class, Mastercam is far superior over surfcam IMO the most difficult part of the learning curve is you dont have as many options in surfcam having to go back to some old school methods of machining, which isnt fun considering 90% of my programming is for high speed machining.
    Mcam forum member #1415

Hey mold

Any word on when their going to get Mastercam?

PEACE

I dont know were really busy right now and the guy whos right above has been there 8 years and is dead set on cimitron, he dont even want to look at mastercam yet, I am working on him pretty good though.
    Mcam forum member #1415

mold500, I've used cimitron. It's very good. Hard as he|| to learn, but very powerful. I still prefer MC because I know it better.

'Rekd teh $.02
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rekd, Hardmill, Cadcam,
    What do you think about MCX (so I've been told) comming out more windows oriented in the next release. Rekd, you mentioned "I know it better", do you forsee see any problems, learning curves, bugs, etc., etc., being a factor, or just good things happening for MC because of it?

I forsee a better user inter face.
    By what I have actully seen of it.There will be a small learning cure if you all ready know it.

I like Reked have watched the changes over the years sense Version2.

As for bugs Well what can you say all new release of ANY software have them.So I expect at least one or more.

Majore one Not really.
    Cadcam

SRT, I see mostly good coming from it.

As cadcam said, there's GONNA be bugs in X because it's always a major change when changing a GUI. I suspect there will be several small annoyances that you'll be able to work around, and likely 1 or 2 (or more) that will require a patch quickly.

I've seen much better upgrades come from the folks at CNC than I've seen with most other softwares in the past, so in general I think it will be a good upgrade.

And the best part is that CNC listens to their customers, and are usually willing to try and integrate features we'd like to see.

'Rekd teh (singing in a child's voice) "I am stuck on Mastercam, 'cuz Mastercam's stuck on me.."
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

MasterCam is a GREAT SOFTWARE.

Rekd,
    The VB Scripting that seems to have been recently introduced in MC, was that due to CNC listening to their customers or was that there own doing, without any nudging along. I have talked to several other software dealers and it seems that they have no intentions of including VB Scripting in the future. In conversations with them it seems that "possibly" they believe their software is "superior" enough without VB Scripting already. I have to smile as I write that, but that is the impression that I got from them. I've had some experience with VB Scripting in BC18 (their own version) and have found it very helpful at times, I for one am glad to hear MC is using it, if it works similar to the BC results that I was able to get.

SRT, I believe it was something they did on their own.

I wouldn't be able to hold back the laughter if a rep said that to me. LOL.

The scripting is MC is not complete yet, but there is enough to do many things. They say they will be adding new features as they find out what we want.

I think it's great, because I love VB and I love MC. The only thing VB scripting can do to software is make it better. Frustrated cuz you can't do that simple little thing like a date-based backup copy of the current file? VB Script it yourself!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Page 1 of 2 12