587,187 active members*
5,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Left hand screwcutting

Hi,

I use the UK imported version of the Lathemaster 8x14 Lathe, but the instructions provided are sparse to say the least. I believe it is possible to screwcut left hand threads on this machine, does anyone have instructions to set up the gearing to do so, or know of any links on the subject.
    Many thanks in advance,

RCFLYER.

Have you tried this group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster/

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
    Hi,

I use the UK imported version of the Lathemaster 8x14 Lathe, but the instructions provided are sparse to say the least. I believe it is possible to screwcut left hand threads on this machine, does anyone have instructions to set up the gearing to do so, or know of any links on the subject.
    Many thanks in advance,

RCFLYER.

don't know this lathe, but usual procedure is just reverse the direction of the leadscrew, so you are cutting left to right (still at 29.5 but in the other direction), or mount the tool upside down and reverse the direction of the spinde rotation and cut right to left. either way you have change the gear train to reverse the leadscrew relative to the spindle. sorry if you already know all that and need machine specific info

re: lefthand screwcutting

Many thanks for the info guy's. What I am trying to find out is how to set up the gearing to reverse the direction of the lead screw, the lathe importer has not been very helpful so the search continues!!

Best regards,
    RCFLYER.

Quote Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
    Many thanks for the info guy's. What I am trying to find out is how to set up the gearing to reverse the direction of the lead screw, the lathe importer has not been very helpful so the search continues!!

Best regards,
    RCFLYER.
    On most little machines the engagement lever for the gear train will engage for either direction of leadscrew rotation. If your machine does not have this you just have to insert an idler gear between two of the gears somewhere in the gear train.

Thanks for that Geof. lathe hasn't a reverse lever fitted, what I need to do now is figure out how to mount an Idler gear

Regards,

rcflyer.

You can probably reverse the leads to your motor

Run it backwards, mount your cutting tool upside down and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by aminear View Post
    Run it backwards, mount your cutting tool upside down and away you go.
    And unless you have reversed the direction of the leadscrew relative to the spindle you cut a normal thread anyway.

rcflyer; Have a look at the gear train, it is possible you will find an existing idler gear that just has to be removed to reverse the direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    And unless you have reversed the direction of the leadscrew relative to the spindle you cut a normal thread anyway.

rcflyer; Have a look at the gear train, it is possible you will find an existing idler gear that just has to be removed to reverse the direction.
    Geof, I checked out the geartrain tonight, it looks like it can be configured to allow the additon of an idler gear on the Banjo, which would explain the spare stub shaft supplied with the change gears . Many thanks for your help and time, much appreciated.

Regards,

rcflyer.

Reverse Gear

Did you get it figured out?
    The small intermediate gear that is mounted on a stub shaft needs to be moved to the threaded hole in the headstock that is just slightly below and to the right of the normal position. The provided gear and stub shaft then needs to be mounted in the other threaded hole to the left and beneath the spindle gear. It will engage the spindle gear and also the moved intermediate gear - thus reversing rotation.
    That procedure worked about twice on my lathe until the intermediate gear shaft stripped out the threads in the headstock. Three threads engaging the cast iron, just wasn't enough. I can see why they shortened the threaded part of the shaft, as there isn't enough clearance between the cast and the pulley to change it without removing the drive pulley otherwise. Here is a shot of the beginning steps of my very first turning on my new lathe. Lacking any way to make a hex or square on the portion between the threads and the flange the gear bearing mounts against, I just used threadlocker and a pliers to tighten the shaft onto the lathe. Upon further thought, that was a good thing as I'm now working on a bracket for the reverse gear that will use the large part of the turned shaft as a pivot point so I will have a reverse gear without the need to fool with removing the spindle pulley and move gears and risk stripping threads again.
    Ed B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails intermediate.jpg  

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for the write up, looks easy once its explained!! Would you mind letting me know how you get on with the plate you are designing?

Best Regards,

RCFLYER.