588,289 active members*
5,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Lighting Zapped my RS-232 ports

I am looking for some help with my RS-232 ports.

I have a total of 10 machines, all with Fanuc Controls. During a recent Thunderstorm, we got hit my lighting. Two of my mills and three of my lathes will not transfer files through the RS-232 ports.

The mills are 10M's and the lathes are OT's and a 10L.

I have verified my cables and scanner box and am communicating with my other machines ok.

How best can I trouble shoot my problem?
    Do I just change boards?
    Does anyone have a good source for boards?
    Can someone tell me which boards I should be looking at?

On the 10, there is usually two ports, one on the MB and one on the operator panel, you can use the appropriate parameter to swap the port over, failing that you could trace the RS232 pins on the Honda socket and look for any IC close by that have 1488 or 1489 on them, I cannot remember if they use this common IC or not, but any IC connected to the port could be replaced as an attempt to cure it if you cannot find the other port.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I saw the two ports in the manual. By selecting the other port in the parameters will I need to change a physical wire?

Now that you mention the 1488 chip, I think we did one before several years back? It may be the same chip on the OT because I believe it was that control that we fixed.

Thanks again!

You may need to make up a 20pin Honda to 25pin D connector if it is not already in place.
    I can send a RS232 manual for the 10 if you send me an email address via PM.
    Al.

Albert E.

As Al said there are 2 ports on the 10 control. When I hooked up the network system to all the machines I used the Honda plug in the 10 panel so I wouldn't have to run wires to the control. I had to make my own plug.

Al is much more fluent in this than I am but this is the pin out that I used. My model however was a 10T control so I am not sure if this is what you need. It also says Fanuc 6 but it worked for me. Hope it helps.

Stevo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Stevo,

On the 10T machine, I traced he 25 pin wires up to the the CD1 port on the card next to the 14" monitor, but can not see the CD2 on the Master PCB.

I am thinking that I should just exchange the whole board.

Why can you not use the CD2 on the PCB board??

Sorry its been about 8yrs since I wired that machine up but if I am not mistaken The Honda plug comes off the master board and runs to a tape reader. I rewired the Honda plug to run RS232 on the other end. Switch your device in the control and should be good.

Stevo

If I read this diagram correctly, it looks like there are 2 CD1 ports. One on the Master PCB and one with the 14" monitor board (connected to the Master at the COP1 from COP3).

Does that make sense?

There are 2 chips on the fanuc motherboards that are responsible for the rs-232 communication. I had the same thing happen many years ago. A Fanuc maintenance man came to the shop and removed the chips from the motherboard and soldered a socket in place so the replacement chips would just plug in. The chips are common and you can even get them at radio shack etc. I watched him do the work and when it happened again I did the next machine myself. I would not recommend this. At one time I could have given you the chip numbers but it has been too long ago. We also had a unix workstation with 12 rs-232 ports on it that I was using to send to the different machines and lightning got it also. I took the cpu down and looked inside and you guessed it , the same ships was on the communications board in the cpu. So I unsoldered them and replaced everyone of those also. Everything worked when I was done. There are 2 chips for every port, I think 16 pin. I hope this helps.
    Kevin Milton

Thanks for your input Kevin.

My two "PC-DNC" scanners got zapped too.

And you are right. After further digging here, I actually found a Radio Shack "Quad Line Driver" Chip #1488 that was left over from a fix made some 18 years ago on our very 1st machine (Victor TNS 1 w/ OT control).

And you are right. If not skilled in making this change it can be tough. The socket idea is a good one in case of a future problem.

Thanks again.

M.E that sounds about right. It is so hard to think that far back and my dumb as# didn't keep any of the data. You should be able to rewire the Honda plug coming of the main board. for some reason CD4 sticks in my head. I think that is on my Mits drive on a different machine. Do you have a tape on the machine that has a plug that runs to the main board?

I did this at the last place I worked. I have not been in to visit in awhile so if I get time after work today or this weekend I will swing in there and take a look at the plugs and configs that I used and get back to you.

Stevo

Stevo,

None of my machines have tape readers build in. Just the 25 pin port on the outside of the cabinet.

Mark

If memory serves me right you should not have to do any rewiring of the Honda plug.

If you currently just plug a laptop into the RS232 to download you can just use the one on the cabinet instead of the control. In the Handy settings you will have to change the input/output device to probably 2 instead of 1.

Or are both ports down?

Stevo

The PDF manual will show the location of the RS232 for the 10/11/12 systems and all the pin-outs.
    On the 10 MB, the CD1 is the RH plug on a row of four towards the top left of the MB.
    Using the other port is usually the most expedient.
    Al.

Albert E.

Stevo,

I do not know if both ports are dead.

The cable that is being used runs from the main cabinet (back of the machine) to the monitor cabinet (in front) and would be hard to fish out.

If I was to use the 2nd CD1 port on the Master board, I would need to make a new plug. Does anyone make any that are ready to buy?

I am confused by the manual referencing that there are two CD1's (one on the Master and one on the monitor board) and are they the same port as far as the parameters are concerned?

Thanks,
    Mark

Yes there is a CD1 on each, the operator board CD1 is assigned a setting 1, the MB CD1 is assigned setting 2.
    The parameters have to be changed according to what port you are using, including the baud rate and protocol etc., the Fanuc manual does get a bit cryptic.
    Al.

Albert E.

Stevo,

There is only one external 25 pin port. The wires run from the control cabinet to the CD1 Port on the PCB up next to the CRT.

I think I would have to make a new cable to use the CD1 port on the Master board. It would be a real pain to pull the cable back from the front of the machine. It would be very bad if that did not solve the problem.

If I could get my hands on a cable with the Honda plug on one end and the 25 pin connector on the other, I could quickly test to see if the CD1 port on the Master board could be used.

Where could I get such a cable?

Mark

Hmmm, suprised your other port is not hooked up. I have never had to buy the honda plugs. I rewired the ones that I had. I have never purchased from these places so I can not speak of there service but I think they might have what you need.

http://www.isspots.info/MATERIALCATA...rchm_0_31.aspx
    http://www.electronicsurplus.com/dictionary/cat1938.htm

Stevo

Stevo,

Those links may be helpful. Would you happen to know the wiring schematic if I have to make a cable?

Al,

Thanks, if I make a cable, I can let you know if changing from port 1 to 2 works.

You should be able to use the pin out that I attached to my post on the first page of this thread. It says for a 6 series control but I used it on my 10 control. Is this what your asking. For the pin out of the Honda plug?

Stevo

Page 1 of 2 12