588,531 active members*
9,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Line voltage alarm

well, I have had my vf2 for 1 year and I I had no problems. Today I had 3 line voltage alarms. I re-powered up the machine each time and all was good. I have that early power failure detention module thingy. I am hoping its just the incoming power with the funky weather we are having in socal. I am running a 30hp phase a matic rpc. My machine is just out of warranty so I am holding my breath. Any thoughts?

Mark

Mark,

I used to get those a lot, but after I switched phase convertors and ran only one machine on each one they have gone away. I don't know if that helps but I would look at your power equalizing switching on the RPC to make sure it is keeping things with in 5% power flux. I burned up a FANUC control on my Takisawa lathe trying to run both my haas and lathe on one RPC. Life has been much better since I put them on seperate RPCs with good load switching. It could be as you say the funky weather affecting your power but you can ask your power company to hook up a power recorder to isolate where the trouble is. This is an area where there can be a lot of finger pointing but you need to isolate the problem quickly.

Hope things smooth out.

Eagle

That is why you have the Power Failure Detection Module. Without it your machine might 'coast through' a very brief blip, but it might shut down and kill you tool or job.

Your local voltage may be running a bit low making it more likely that the detector circuit will trip. When does it happen? Any time no matter whether the machine is running or not, or just when the machine is starting up or running under a heavy load.

Sometimes when the supply voltage is marginal the machine will trip out due to the starting draw pulling the line voltage down a bit. In this case it is possible to change the Parameter that controls the maximum spindle acceleration during start up.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

thanks a lot Eagle. I have my haas on the rpc by itself and the power in within the 10% haas requires. Its is like you say within 5%. I have 240.6 over 2 legs and the third is 250.4.

Thanks for you reply.

Mark

The power detection module was created on Haas machinery so that when power is lost or turned off, the Z axis brake has time to engage. There is a slight delay before the brake engages. It has also however, proven to assist with brief voltage drops as Geof stated. Check and be clear of what type of alarm you are getting. If it is an overvoltage alarm you may want to get some type of surge protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    That is why you have the Power Failure Detection Module. Without it your machine might 'coast through' a very brief blip, but it might shut down and kill you tool or job.

Your local voltage may be running a bit low making it more likely that the detector circuit will trip. When does it happen? Any time no matter whether the machine is running or not, or just when the machine is starting up or running under a heavy load.

Sometimes when the supply voltage is marginal the machine will trip out due to the starting draw pulling the line voltage down a bit. In this case it is possible to change the Parameter that controls the maximum spindle acceleration during start up.
    Hi Geof, I didnt see this post before. It was alarming out when the tool was spinning up. It hadnt started cutting yet.

machinetoolguy - the alarm was a low voltage alarm.

thanks for the help guys.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by fourperf View Post
    Hi Geof, I didnt see this post before. It was alarming out when the tool was spinning up. It hadnt started cutting yet.
    Parameter 196 C ACCEL LIMIT LOAD set in the factory at 195 (%). You can reduce this to whatever you want and it reduces the power draw when the spindle spins up. At 120% you hardly notice any difference on the time it takes to get to speed; at 100% it is a tiny bit slower.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks a lot Geof. If it continues to alarm out I will try that change.

Mark