I'm just getting into machining and want to set up my home shop. I want to get a lathe and mill and I think I've narrowed down the lathe part of the equation, but wanted some advise before I pulled the trigger.

I've only going to be making relatively small things (model engineering), model engines etc. The largest flywheel I'd probably machine would be 5-6". The guys at Machine Tools Warehouse have a larger 8.5 x 16 TopTech machine that looks pretty nice. (https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=254&page=1). LMS has the same machine, but I'm wondering if I should just get the smaller, cheaper mini-lathe from LMS instead for the type and size of work I'd be doing. The consensus seems to be get the biggest/heaviest lathe you can afford/house, but ultimately I'd be getting the mini-mill as I could not get anything heavier into a basement shop without reinforcing the stairs in my house.

I'm in Canada, so the options are limited and I don't want to buy from BusyBee. The support and accessories around the LMS products seems to be pretty good which is why I'm a bit torn. Not sure about the Machine Tools Warehouse as I have not found much about them online.

Any suggestions? The price on that MTW machine is pretty good and comes with a stand and some tooling.