587,693 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Looking for CNC Lathe near Ithaca, NY or Palo Alto California

Hybrid View

Looking for CNC Lathe near Ithaca, NY or Palo Alto California

Hello,

I'm a student at Cornell University majoring in engineering physics. As a personal hobby, I play with yo-yo's a lot. In the past 10 years, yo-yo design and demand for well machined aluminum yo-yo's has increased quite a bit. Here is an example of some of the best yo-yo machining work to date:

http://www.theyoyomuseum.com/museum_...&exhibitid=358

This yo-yo is designed by a machinist in Italy. It was sold for $120 (before it quickly sold out within a few hours). Since it was released over a year ago, nobody else has been able to make a yo-yo that is as nice. It was made using a CNC lathe, aluminum body, titanium axle. There was another metal used for on the receiving end of the axle (copper?). This yo-yo uses a ball bearing to avoid friction with the string, and machined-off silicone flush in grooves around the axle to allow the yo-yo to return. In short, it is the best yo-yo ever made.

In yo-yoing we have an obsession with smoothness while spinning and precision. I would really like to make a batch of yo-yo's that play as well as the oxy4, but I'm a physics major, not a machinist. I have money for the project, but I only have enough to cover the cost of production - not prototyping. I need help from someone who can work with me to develop a prototype yo-yo. The objectives are smoothness while spinning, simplicity in design, and keeping the cost down. The production run would start at around 100-200 pieces, possibly as many as 1000 depending upon how the yo-yo stacks up to other current models. I want the production cost of the yo-yo to be less than $100 dollars so that I can sell them for no more than $120. The market for these yo-yos is small but well established.

If you're interested in this project, please e-mail me rla28 at cornell dot edu. I'm also on AIM - cornellouis. You can also get freelance work from the yo-yo community if you're interested in that - there are modifications to existing designs that people regularly desire. It's not a career, but it's a little money, and there is some prestige in making a new "best yo-yo ever."

Years ago my company had some special ceramic hybrid bearings made for someone developing Hi-tech Yo-Yo's. At the time it was supposed to have held the world record for spin time.

I wouldn't mind helping you out a bit. I'm not sure if I could do an entire prototype for you, but let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.

Robi
    Tinmuk
    Any problem can be solved by the proper application of heat!