587,997 active members*
1,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

looking for help

New machine and I do not know how to run it
    Thought I would start with somthing simple just a few letters.
    The torch comes down finds the plate rises to pierce hight fires does the pierce and goes out one out of six or so times the rest of the time it cuts as it should.
    I have stop at lost arc unchecked.
    changing settings does not seem to make a difference.
    the air pressure is holding ok
    Could be the frist cut could be the fifth or what ever.
    Is this a noise issue.
    With stop at lost arc cheked it don't want to run at all.
    I have not called dynatorch yet just thoght some of you mite have an answer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P06-09-10_16.11.jpg   P06-09-10_16.11[1].jpg  

Hi Miles,
    I had the same problem with a Thermaldynamics Cutmaster 52. The torch would sporadically touch off, fire for the pierce, pop and go out. The machine would just sit there dead. I fought it for a few months but finally took it to a service center. TD was good enough to authorize a return and sent me a new unit. I haven't had a problem with it since. I dont know what was finally wrong. What are the diagonal lines in the cut?

Good Luck,
    Mike

Thanks for your input Mike
    I have been thinking its mydynatorch install but maybe its my plasma althoe it was working fine by hand.
    I am afrade I'v done somthing stupid on my setup but I dont know what.
    The diagonal lines are briges to hold the centers in the letters.

Quote Originally Posted by miles peters View Post
    Thanks for your input Mike
    I have been thinking its mydynatorch install but maybe its my plasma althoe it was working fine by hand.
    I am afrade I'v done somthing stupid on my setup but I dont know what.
    The diagonal lines are briges to hold the centers in the letters.
    Hi Miles,
    Mine worked perfect by hand also. On the machine it would spradically loose the arc at startup. No ryhme or reason, but always at the start of cut. What kind of plasma unit is it?

Mike

It's a Hypertherm 1000 .
    Today I noticed when the torch fires the z axis lifts maybe 1/4" or so then moves down to cut hight .
    Is that normal?
    It does it whether the thc is on or off

It's a Hypertherm 1000 .
    Today I noticed when the torch fires the z axis lifts maybe 1/4" or so then moves down to cut hight .
    Is that normal?
    Next to the torch height window on the software screen is a line with two arrows, click on it and see if it shrinks or expands. left click and see the settings for the expanded or "thick plate piercing" function. It sounds like you have the ramp up or pierce height too high. I will back off .1875 from cut height on thick plate. .25 may be enough to lose arc, or your pierce delay may be set to long. Keep in mind that your inside cuts with short lengths will freeze the THC, so It may just lose the arc if enough material is blown away.

Do the lost arc spots look cratered excessively? I rarely cut under half inch so I would not know what is too much. You will have to go by feel/guess work. Try "no pierce delay" if it is thin enough and see if it holds the arc and rips up some plate.

WSS

It's a Hypertherm 1000 .
    Is that normal?
    Mine drops to pierce height, fires, then drops to cut height.

Mike

Did you change your 1000 from hand torch to machine, if so i just found out not that long ago there are 2 different swirl rings for them, whether or not this is the problem i dont know, im just fishing... also when i first started i had simular problems with my 1250, eventually i loosened off the retaining cap (alittle) as i thought maybe i had tightened it to much, whether or not if that was what was wrong it solved the problem, i never had another issue with it in regards to misfires. What thickness of steel are you cutting and what are your settings and consumables? make sure the ground clamp is attached to the peice you are cutting and not to the slats... your peirce height seems high, thc i beleive takes over once the torch starts to move, if you have a longer than needed peirce delay then the torch blows away all the metal and looses contact or dives in looking for it, for 1/8 steel or alum i have 0 delay.

EDD

Thank you all for helping me out.
    It seems there is nothing so stupid that I will not do it yep
    I had use thick material pierce settings checked.
    Made a few cuts everything is working fine I'm a happy camper
    I'll try to be more careful before bothering youall next time.

Glad to hear it is working for you, dont be to hard on your self, cnc is alittle more then pushing a start button and having perfectly cut clean parts come off the table...keep up the good work

EDD