588,129 active members*
4,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Looking for quick bit of advice choosing rail thickness for basic wood router cnc

Looking for quick bit of advice choosing rail thickness for basic wood router cnc

Hi, i'm planning to make a basic setup. It wouldnt really be right to call it a cnc but more of a router sled with x and y axis which I would move manually, however it would be build in a cnc style system.

I've chosen to use round shafts for my rails but I can't find what thickness would be most suitable. I intuitionally decided 20mm would be suitable, however I do wish to keep friction and costs to a minimum so I would imagine if I can get away with lighter rails this would reduce weight for the x axis which would ride along the bottom y axis.

The router I will use weighs 13.lb. If any flexing in the beam did occur I think I could probably tolerate perhaps 0.4mm. I would be using hardwoods, the working area im thinking about is 80x60cm.

Can anyone offer advice? I've tried searching myself but I couldnt find much out there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps someone with an engineering background could do real calculations for you. But I would think that if you used supported rails you could get away with something a lot smaller than 20mm. I used 20mm supported rails on one axis of my small router where the rails were bolted to 3/8" cold rolled steel which was bolted to a 3" x 1.5" 8020 aluminum extrusion. This is plenty rigid for my purposes.

I'm not trying to spend your money but the 20mm isn't that expensive so you could overkill to be sure.