587,986 active members*
5,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a quote on cnc parts

I'm still working on the cad so there will be some more upgrading but I just want to know what I"m getting myself into and around how much it will cost. This will be made out of aluminum. Also if I could get a second quote on all those parts just squared off with no holes. Also curious how much it would cost if it was out of steel? The .stl is in mm I believe. Here are the .stl files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike Schetterer
    Finegrain Metalworks
    (425) 681-4732

What's your required quantity for these parts?

Hi, I can't open your files, something about a certificate of authenticity, thanks, Ron

STL

Could you post cad files other than .STL

Jeff

Could you post cad files other than .STL

Jeff

I don't have anything else other than .stl files. I"m using alibre design and it's the only option I get to export my files. Quantity is just 1 of each. I just need rough estimates so I know if I can take on this project financially. I still have to spend more time on the CAD to fix up this cnc so those aren't the final files but very close.

Also had another question, is it possible to make it out of cast iron or would that not be good? I think I'm very set on using at least steel now. Also has anyone done the calculations to know how thick of a steel gantry you would need for no bending while cutting steel?

It is certainly possible to make your parts from cast iron, but would be much more costly than steel with relatively little benefit.

I can't say how thick your parts would need to be. It depends on how aggressively you plan on cutting.

Regards.

Mike

Ok I"m one step further now I basically beefed up my cnc in the cad...last things I'm wondering what type of steel should I make it out of and how thick should my table top be since it's 3 feet long with supports on the end...or maybey I should make it shorter? As I hope it will be able to cut steel eventually. It's allready 1 inch thick maybey it should be 1 and a half?

Hello,

I think you are going in the direction of a weldment. A 1/2" steel top plate with a "waffle iron" of crossmembers beneath can be made more rigid, lighter, and cheaper than increasingly thick solid.

Regards.

Mike Schetterer
    Finegrain Metalworks
    (425) 681-4732

As for which steel, I should think a standard A36 "plate" material would be fine. Fancier materials won't be any stiffer than regular A36.

Regards.

Mike

I was doing a little research on the different steels what do you think of using 1045 for the cnc machine? Also I"ve basically finished the cad and it's updated below was curious if I could get a better quote. I don't want to overdo the complexity of the cnc lol because I could make it very complex but then I might go broke lol...The only things left to be added are two more braces for under the table and a few more holes. I'll be needing 2 of the x-blocks, y-blocks, and z-blocks. 3 of the z-ballscrew mounts. Everything else I would just need 1 of.
    Attached Files Attached Files