588,567 active members*
4,780 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Loosing steps and drive signal. Heat related?

Loosing steps and drive signal. Heat related?

On my machine Im using the Probotix ProboStep Drivers ProboStep Stepper Motor Driver - ProboStep VX - Unipolar Stepper Motor Driver, and their green monster motors. And 24 gauge cables (I think this is my problem). The axis Im having issues with is a chain driven axis and the long axis of my machine.

Basically whats happening is after a while of running (couple hours) the motor will loose signal from the driver, like the driver shut off and stop running. The driver is still lit and seems fine. If i power the driver off and back on everything is ok. And last night I started loosing steps mid program, ruining a 100$ block of wood

My shop is almost 100 deg's right now but I have to work out there and get this sign job completed. Could my driver issues be heat related? I have rather large chuck of T-channel aluminum for my heat sink with fans set up at either end creating a wind channel for cooling, with was recommended to me by the Probotix techs.

HELP

Quote Originally Posted by prcdslnc13 View Post
    On my machine Im using the Probotix ProboStep Drivers ProboStep Stepper Motor Driver - ProboStep VX - Unipolar Stepper Motor Driver, and their green monster motors. And 24 gauge cables (I think this is my problem). The axis Im having issues with is a chain driven axis and the long axis of my machine.

Basically whats happening is after a while of running (couple hours) the motor will loose signal from the driver, like the driver shut off and stop running. The driver is still lit and seems fine. If i power the driver off and back on everything is ok. And last night I started loosing steps mid program, ruining a 100$ block of wood

My shop is almost 100 deg's right now but I have to work out there and get this sign job completed. Could my driver issues be heat related? I have rather large chuck of T-channel aluminum for my heat sink with fans set up at either end creating a wind channel for cooling, with was recommended to me by the Probotix techs.

HELP
    It can definitely be the 100 degree ambient air blowing across the driver that may be causing the driver to enter thermal shut down mode, or if it doesn't have that mode, the devices may be reaching an operating temperature that could make it suffer low (or distorted) signal level output, or just stop working. Because you can reset it with power cycling it is most likely a thermal shutdown mode causing the shut down.

Blowing more hot air on it probably won't help much. Not much short of installing a CPU cold water cooled heatsink will fix it for these kinds of ambient air temperatures. (I'm sure you didn't want to hear that. )

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I think im going to try placing the whole driver board and all the electronics inside one of those airconditioned coolers that coleman makes. I had a friend do this with a PC a few years back and it worked incredibly well. Should be a ton easier then air conditioning my whole shop

Or you could get a small window box A/C and build a box around the CNC controller box, and have the A/C keep 'that' cool... Heck, just opening the cover, and setting the A/C unit on a box or a chair in front of it might get you through the 'right now'...

Gotta watch out for condensation problems whatever you do though ...

Quote Originally Posted by prcdslnc13 View Post
    I think im going to try placing the whole driver board and all the electronics inside one of those airconditioned coolers that coleman makes. I had a friend do this with a PC a few years back and it worked incredibly well. Should be a ton easier then air conditioning my whole shop
    That depends on how big and leaky your shop is. I opted to keep my equipment and myself cool this summer by insulating the 30' x 40' shop and installing a 2 ton split system heat pump. It has been a good move so far.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

This issue ended up being a loose wire in the motor pigtail. As long as the wires are in the right spot, everything is great, move just right I loose the motor and have to power off the drivers to get it back. For now the pigtail is just clamped where I need it and its worked for about 2 months. Ill replace it here shortly.