549,879 active members*
2,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Registered

Mach3 Documented Bug List

It is commonly stated that Mach4 was created because Mach3 has architectural limitations that cannot be overcome with patches.
    I have searched here and in Google for a list of documented Mach3 bugs to no avail.
    Does such a list exist?
    Thanks in advance,
    Gary

Registered

Re: Mach3 Documented Bug List

Quote Originally Posted by GEBrown View Post
    It is commonly stated that Mach4 was created because Mach3 has architectural limitations that cannot be overcome with patches.
    I have searched here and in Google for a list of documented Mach3 bugs to no avail.
    Does such a list exist?
    Thanks in advance,
    Gary

It's not so much about bugs.
    It's algorithms and codings.
    The software is too old and compact to be able to handle the extra features and information.
    Mach4 was written entirely from scratch so is basically a different software package altogether.
    Think of it like- one is Windows the other is Linux. Incompatible.

Anyway. Mach3 bugs vary from pc to pc so you can't really 'list' them.
    Like my WinXP pc ran it faultless for years, Win7 had random glitches. Both run on parallel port, both installed on the same actual pc!!!?!

That's why I always said XP is best for Mach3 on pport. It's basic, it's small, and not bloated full of crap!!!. Not much chance of driver conflicts.
    The OS doesn't really matter if you use a network based controller.

Registered

Unhappy Re: Mach3 Documented Bug List

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    It's not so much about bugs.
    It's algorithms and codings.
    The software is too old and compact to be able to handle the extra features and information.
    Mach4 was written entirely from scratch so is basically a different software package altogether.
    Think of it like- one is Windows the other is Linux. Incompatible.

Anyway. Mach3 bugs vary from pc to pc so you can't really 'list' them.
    Like my WinXP pc ran it faultless for years, Win7 had random glitches. Both run on parallel port, both installed on the same actual pc!!!?!

That's why I always said XP is best for Mach3 on pport. It's basic, it's small, and not bloated full of crap!!!. Not much chance of driver conflicts.
    The OS doesn't really matter if you use a network based controller.
    you answer my curiosity about XP and Win7 with PP.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Re: Mach3 Documented Bug List

Hi,
    Mach4 does have a parallel port plugin for which a $25 license fee applies, its called Darwin, I think being meant to indicate that its the best and last of the breed.
    It was written by Art Fennerty, whom wrote the original Mach3 parallel port driver and started the whole Mach3 craze.

Like the Mach3 parallel port driver which preceeds Darwin it can only run on 32 bit Windows OS's like Windows 7 and XP. More recently still Mach4 will no longer run
    on XP machines, excepting one old build of Mach4 maintained for that purpose. Also like Mach3 parallel port Darwin is subject to the vagaries between machines and
    that other software installed or even worse running on the same PC can screw the parallel port.

The are a number of realtime supports that Darwin does not have, and according to the author will never have, things like single point lathe threading, backlash comp
    and Plasma THC.

In short Darwin was meant for newcomers to Mach4 to have a cheap way of seeing and running Mach4, but in reality Mach4 was always intended to be used with an external motion controller
    like an Ethernet SmoothStepper. If someone can't be bothered to buy an ESS or one of the other external motion controllers, then really Mach4 is not the right solution for them.
    If you do buy an ESS or similar then Mach4 comes to life, and is in my opinion light years ahead of Mach3. I've been using Mach4 for seven years now.

Craig