588,490 active members*
4,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by FieroNate View Post
    Just was experimenting around with making my own wax. Tried a few things. Using Paraffin wax as a base I tried adding got glue sticks.. this kind of worked dissolvability was an issue. I also found that Sears sells PE drop cloths for painting at about 2 bucks a lbs. It is marked as #4 recyclable which is Polyethelyne. I took the "log" of drop cloth and sliced it with a serated knife. Worked fairly well. I then melted the wax, added the PE and the die color (blue in this case).

One thing I did that most people probbaly did not is I experimented with HDPE and PE and Hot Glue. I also experimented with temperatures. According to the MSDS the flash point of Pariffin is above 450 F in open air and the Flash point of HDPE and PE is also above 450 F (someone check that to confirm, don't take my word for it). In any case I used a Digital Multimeter from Sears with a thermal Couple on it to measure temperature more exactly. I also used a stainless bottomed cooking pan. Worked fairly well took it right up to about 460 F (the self ignition temperature of these materials are way above 450 F so no worries there provided I don't accidentally drop a flame into them). I was able to melt most of the hot glue (I only added one small stick to about 1.5 shot glasses worth of Paraffin beads). I also added about half a shot glass of PE to it to see what happened. Turned out quite well. The wax is slightly flexible when cool it can be broken still but it gives a bit when you flex it and also cuts well (Haven't tried milling it yet).

I also tried half a shot glass of HDPE in a different batch couldn't get it to melt so I removed it. This batch is significantly more brittle then the one with PE and Hot Glue in it. I then mixed up a final batch with only PE in it this too is a bit more brittle then I want but probably better for machining.

Moral of the story dont' be affraid to heat up to 450 F with these but make sure you are very very careful. Wear a face mask and some protectant clothing. Also have a fire extinguisher near by just in case. And I recommend doing it where the fumes won't be a problem.

The hot glue addition is going to be a fun experiment.

Here is the hot glue I used (from Walmart)

http://www.adhesivetech.com/industri.../adhesives.cfm

Even melted it is still a bit more viscous then I'd like. It also raises the solidous temperature of the wax. At 200 F the PE Wax started to congeal. I guess it really depends on your application. I'm still looking into what temperature they cook the wax out of lost wax casting molds.

You are CRAZY man. I mean this in a good way. Hot Glue? Drop cloth? I never would have thought of using such materials...

You mentioned the viscosity is still higher than you'd like while heating. I wonder how that may impede trapped air from rising to the surface. I guess you'll know when you start machining it.

Please keep us informed.

Also, which of the hot glues did you end up using (there are three on that linked page)

Thanks!

Carlo

Actually I didn't use the hot glue mentioned there. I ended up doing something different. I have another thread on here but no idea where it is. I tried searching for it and now can't find it . I'll post back soon though with a link when I find it. I suspect that its being reviewed before being posted, or the thread has been pulled.

here is the other link, I searched for the wrong thing. Read this and get back to me.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...Machinable+Wax

Page 3 of 3 123