587,481 active members*
2,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > machining left I D thread and O D knurling

machining left I D thread and O D knurling

hello, everybody I have to machine brass 360 , having some knurling to do on the O D at 2.25 and 96 diametral pitch (diamond) also i never did I D left hand thread so my question is whats the depth of cut for this particular material to turn, an how to go about the left hand thread ,should i just start the spindle in reverse and start from the inside, or do I need a left hand threading boring/b , and about the knurling how deep should i go into the material and at what speed on x axis, someone recomend to feed from .006 to .008 inches per revolution on the z axis at 125 rpm using wd 40 as a lubricant, thank you for all your help guys, any thoughts will be greatly appreciated thanks a lot.

Yellow brass is pretty forgiving and easy to cut. I have done turning at .250 depth of cut or roughing before on a good sized lathe. Turning brass is no problem.

The knurling part sounds about right. Although I tend to like heavy feed rates for knurling of about .015 IPR. WD40 will work probably okay although I use sulpherized cutting oil on most everything I knurl. I lubricates the pins better for me.

ID threading: I often turn the bar upside down and thread from the farside so I can leave the compound at the normal position of 29.5 degrees. Less setup time. I always cut a thread relief in the bottom adjacent to the back wall with some kind of groove tool. I keep the RPM low,(around 50 or less) to give myself time to disengage the halfnut. Especially on course threads. A travadial or DRO helps quite a lot here.