587,245 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Macros.How to work with it?

Hi. I'd like to start working with macros,but don't know how. If anybody knows something on this subject please give me an advice. Thank you in advance for any information on this matter.

What control? If you have a FANUC (and others do as well) programming manual, it has some simple examples of macros and functions to start with. The rest of it, live and learn....

You can download lots of written macro programs online from many sources. These may be hard to follow but might give you the idea once you understand the basics. Not sure if there are more basic macros available online to go through with you step by step unless you pay for it. Someone might know though....
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Thank you for reply. That is the problem,I can't catch basic yet. Do you know any sources about macros?,I couldn't find... For example Some words like NE,FUP,LT what does it mean? I have Fanuc GE 0M series and I wouldn't say it's the best to learn macros with it... Old scrap. Manual is from another machine and the first problem I've faced is how to type them in? It doesn't accept #variable sign in a front of line only after any other sign,why? Brackets,can't find how to print them,"shift" is not very helpfull... so you see,I'm in the sea and where have I swim to... Help,I'm sinking...

Learning Macros is a bit tricky and NCPlot offers a Macro Calculator where you can write and execute Fanuc Macros. There is also a Help file that explains the basics. This may help you.

www.ncplot.com
    :cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

For example Some words like NE,FUP,LT what does it mean?
    I'll try to touch on some here....

NE : Not Equal
    FUP : round up
    LT : Less Than

here's some others that are common...

GT : Greater than
    LE : Less than or equal to
    GE : greater than or equal to
    ABS : Absolute value (drops the negative "-" sign)
    FIX : round down
    EQ : equals to

And there are others but this will get you started. Some examples.....

'IF' and 'GOTO' statements are the most common usage of macros.

IF[#503EQ#100]GOTO3333

which means, If variable 503 is equal to varable 100, then go to 3333. In this case, the program jumps to (searches) for a line number "N3333" and starts from there. You can also use real values.....

IF[#500EQ2.653]GOTO200

And for negative values...

IF[#500GT-1.500]GOTO200

Other math.....

#100=4.0 (you can use an "=" sign here)
    #101=2.0
    IF[[#100/#101]EQ2.0]GOTO300

N300

I have Fanuc GE 0M series and I wouldn't say it's the best to learn macros with it... Old scrap. Manual is from another machine and the first problem I've faced is how to type them in? It doesn't accept #variable sign in a front of line only after any other sign,why?
    No, the OM is not the best and its a pain in the arse to type in commands. I haven't seen an OM board in 15 years so I'm not much help for you in getting macros to work on that board. Maybe someone else will ring in and give you some pointers on typing them in on this board...

It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

060831-2048 EST USA

Navigator:

The word MACROS in the CNC field really means additional functions added to the basic G-code language (MACROS are an extension of the language). This is quite different than the meaning of MACRO in the computer field.

My reference is HAAS and this is largely based on Fanuc. HAAS MACROS add math functions, formula calculation, assignment of values to variables, logical operations, subroutine calling with parameters, access to many internal variables in the machine, and DPRNT capability.

On-line you can access the HAAS web site and download a copy of either or both the mill and lathe manuals. In the manual there is a section MACROS.

www.haascnc.com , site map, customer service, manual updates scroll down to mill 96-8000 and pick this. It is a 12 meg file. or directly
    http://www.haascnc.com/customer_serv...mc/96-8000.pdf
    If you go directly to this address you get a mostly blank screen in Internet Explorer and a long wait. At the lower left you will see the progress.
    HAAS page 80 is the start of MACROS (Adobe p 87 of 213), search for "Macros add capabilities and", but do not use the double quotes.

FIX[] obtains the interger portion of a decimal value in HAAS and produces an integer value. This is quite different than ROUND[].

The HAAS MACROS chapter is also where you find a limited definition of many #-variables.

Your capability is greatly enhanced with MACROS.

Thank you very much... Now another question,if I can't find brackets sign on the operational panel ([) does it mean that macros unavailable on that controler type? It's GE Fanuc 0M series but it has macros options I've checked that.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Thank you very much... Now another question,if I can't find brackets sign on the operational panel ([) does it mean that macros unavailable on that controler type? It's GE Fanuc 0M series but it has macros options I've checked that.
    The brackets may be in the Variable Listing Screen Window executed by a softkey.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

You are a great man Tobyaxis,thanks. I sitting now in a front of monitor and try to think up where to use these macros,I mean what the benefits I would get of it? Using them instead of main programme or support the main programm, what the application it could be used for? I know only one at the moment, it;s bolt holes circle. But it means that for every new group of parts I will have to change variables while main programm is permanent... I know that with macros I can get big support,but I'm just thinking where and how... Don't be cross with me,I'm a beginner yet... Very simple manufacturing,small workshop and lack of information...

You are a great man Tobyaxis,thanks. I sitting now in a front of monitor and try to think up where to use these macros,I mean what the benefits I would get of it? Using them instead of main programme or support the main programm, what the application it could be used for? I know only one at the moment, it;s bolt holes circle. But it means that for every new group of parts I will have to change variables while main programm is permanent... I know that with macros I can get big support,but I'm just thinking where and how... Don't be cross with me,I'm a beginner yet... Very simple manufacturing,small workshop and lack of information...
    I'm not that Great. I just look for the simple answers and ways to do things. Now I'll be honest, I never use Macros for anything that a Sub-Program can do. Subs can be applied to any program without changing Variables. Unless your doing a family of Like parts or complex geometry like End Mill Grinding you won't need macros. Plus I use CAD/CAM.

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

060903-0818 EST USA

Navigator:

Here are several specific links with my perspective based on HAAS machines:

A tool change subroutine that requires MACROS.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-12545.html

MACROS used to eliminate a long list of IF statements.
    www.cnczone.com/forums/printthread.php?t=12158

Next is a sort of useful discussion because it addresses inadequate definitions.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-14613.html

A long discussion, but if you can follow thru there is useful information.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-20564.html

We use macros to track tool life counters.
    To monitor machine idle time. If idle x amount of time first cycle will run warmup program x # of times then goto main program and cut part. This works well on several lathes we do small parts on. When the operator returns from break the first couple of parts would be bad before doing this macro. We have it set up to track time and account for daylight savings and leap year.

Bob

Very interesting idea man! Never thought it can be used like this on lathes. I work with lathes only few months now before I;ve worked with machining centres for two and half years... now change and enhance my qualification

There are several resources available for learning about macros. Check out Mike Lynch's website. He writes the "Tech" column in Modern Machine Shop magazine. His website is http://www.cncci.com . Look for the training course on parametric programming.

Thank you DAN,but do you know anybody who has complete that course? I just would like to know is it any use of taking online CNC progr course? I'm in doubts now. Would be interesting to look at some people opinions about this. Can I have any benefits of it or it's just waste of time & money? Thanks

Yeah!!! Guys I gess I have an idea. Can I use Macros for direct feed and speed calculations for a drills and cutter using stored in offset diameter? Macros which will contain a speed and feed calculation formulaes,and will accordingly to tool diameter and material type (put the sequence material number to the variables which will represents some parts in Macros for example: #1=3 ( let it be free cutting steel) so if#1=3 than go to (variable containing suitable cutting speed for offered material type) and this data is calculating in macros... What do you think? It's just a suggestions but sounds good,isn't it?!

060905-1545 EST USA

Navigator:

Your general idea will work, but do you really want to do this in the CNC vs back in your computer where you have more space and easier to do many different things?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    060905-1545 EST USA

Navigator:

Your general idea will work, but do you really want to do this in the CNC vs back in your computer where you have more space and easier to do many different things?

Yea,I understand it well but the problem is that we don't use on the floor any computers even scientific calculators,very simple production and staff is not traineed properly... Just young guys loading parts ... one button operators... one word bloody mess... So it's just my imagination my attempt to go deep into the Macros understand for which applications they could be used...

Macro courses

Navigator: No, I've never taken that class, but it's probably because I taught these classes back in the early 80's for General Numeric in Chicago. I'm already pretty well educated in Fanuc macros.

Mike Lynch is a good egg, and his courses are highly regarded by those who've taken them. I think spending a hundred bucks or so on a course that could save you thousands (and make you a better programmer in the process) is a pretty good deal.

Who could list me approximate ideas about Macros applications? Just purposes... little by little I began to understand but now I have to find meaning,reason practical use... information,please...

Page 1 of 2 12