587,349 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Macturn 250-W help with G52

Macturn 250-W help with G52

Hello,

We've got a Macturn 250-W we are having some problems with.

I can get the machine to cut within 10ths with the upper turret when the tool is indexed at 0 or 90 degrees. I'm having problems when I try to cut at say 45 degrees.

I'm calling my G52 when I call my tool offset, I'm using a G42 and I'm just doing a simple G01 move to cut the part.

At 70 degrees I'm out about 5 thou (Dia) at 45 degrees I'm out about 20 thou.

I'm using a CNMG 432 so I've got a tool nose radius of .0313. I adjusted it while cutting at 45 degrees (down to .0105) and with it set there it's cutting to what I want, but if I index the turret to 70 degrees with my nose rad still at .0105 I'm still out. So I don't think it's an issue with my nose rad. I've tried basically all the "P" values for all the different cutting positions but they either cut oversize or undersized. I'd appreciate any help!

I can post up my code tomorrow if anyone would like. (Or if you have any code with a G52 please post it and tell me what you used as offests)

Thanks!

Macturn 250-W help with G52

What you need to do is when you touch off the tool on the presetter, have it at the angle you are going to turn (face, turn whatever) at. Use a seperate offset for each angle you will use that tool at. G52 is for milling tools, not turning tools. I wouldnt even use it with turning. It rotates the tool offset based on the angle you have the B axis at. It cannot take into consideration the nose radius you are using.

Good luck!

are you sure??

I am brand new to this okuma multus thing but in my macturn/multus osp operation manual it talks about the g52 and in the pics it shows turning tools, and based on the description it sounds like it is meant for turning tools, to compensate for the exact problem he was having, with a powerhouse of a controller like the okuma I would think there would be a better way to compensate for the angle than touching off at the angle you are using, what if you are doing some profiling and need to rotate the tool to get around features? Anybody else have any ideas, I am curious about this also.