588,174 active members*
4,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Made Chips, Lot's of Questions..

Made Chips, Lot's of Questions..

Hello All;

Very Happy !! With new G0704 Mill. Did break in on Motor and Spindle Bearings, Checked 4.0 . Broke down X, Y, Z, and cleaned and deburred. Used Way Oil and lubed and adjusted Gibs.
    Made new Keys for 4 Inch Vise ( to get close ). Made A Head tram stop, need to mount it. Going to use 1/4-20 on Head Dovetail slide right side, about 1 inch down ? So Far runs great, smooth finishes. Been making chips, Tools , Toys for CNC Build.

First I have a few questions. What Hold -Down clamps set do I use ? 7/16 or 1/2 T-nuts ? Did Not no tolerance on T-nut, 1/2 will work if there less then .510.

What is the cap over the drawbar for ? Not the black plastic , but the threaded one. I keep it snug.

What is the set screw on the lower right side of head next to dovetail ?

I start machine at 0 then dial up speed, Then when I press stop when done then dial back to 0. Is this Ok ? Or can I Set speed and start from there ?

Would like to rig up One-shot oil system for CNC, Any Plans, Ideas ?

I have not opened up the gear box under Motor, Should I check it / oil it.
    Runs great no bad noises, The more I use it the better it runs.

I will post pics soon , have to upload to server.

Made Big tooling list , Endmills, Collets, Boring Head, holddown set, rotary Table, On and On ect......:banana:

Thanks to you All, We have never met, But We all share a Passion for Machining. I Look forward to this Journey. ....

Mitch (USN)

Quote Originally Posted by USN View Post
    Hello All;

Very Happy !! With new G0704 Mill. Did break in on Motor and Spindle Bearings, Checked 4.0 . Broke down X, Y, Z, and cleaned and deburred. Used Way Oil and lubed and adjusted Gibs.
    Made new Keys for 4 Inch Vise ( to get close ). Made A Head tram stop, need to mount it. Going to use 1/4-20 on Head Dovetail slide right side, about 1 inch down ? So Far runs great, smooth finishes. Been making chips, Tools , Toys for CNC Build.

First I have a few questions. What Hold -Down clamps set do I use ? 7/16 or 1/2 T-nuts ? Did Not no tolerance on T-nut, 1/2 will work if there less then .510.

This clamping kit will work, notice Chris'Tips for this part# to see the specifics of the T-nut.
    LittleMachineShop.com - Clamping Kit, 1/2" T-Slot

What is the cap over the drawbar for ? Not the black plastic , but the threaded one. I keep it snug.

The retainer Cap is to capture the drawbar so that when you loosen the drawbar it will pop the tool out of the spindle too, that's the theory but that thing has problems coming loose, most of us throw it out.

What is the set screw on the lower right side of head next to dovetail ?

Remove that to allow the head to come off the hub when you take out the other head bolts when pulling the head off the mill.

I start machine at 0 then dial up speed, Then when I press stop when done then dial back to 0. Is this Ok ? Or can I Set speed and start from there ?

Better to start from zero and turn the speed up from there.

Would like to rig up One-shot oil system for CNC, Any Plans, Ideas ?

This requires milling oil grooves in the ways but several of us have done it.
    Projects2

I have not opened up the gear box under Motor, Should I check it / oil it.
    Runs great no bad noises, The more I use it the better it runs.

Might want to have a peek just to make sure the gears fully mesh in Hi and Low and they are greased.

I will post pics soon , have to upload to server.

Made Big tooling list , Endmills, Collets, Boring Head, holddown set, rotary Table, On and On ect......:banana:
    It never ends.

Thanks to you All, We have never met, But We all share a Passion for Machining. I Look forward to this Journey. ....

Mitch (USN)
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Thanks Hoss