587,591 active members*
3,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Making a fixture cavity from 3d part

Making a fixture cavity from 3d part

Hello,
    I would like to make a part fixture but can't figure it out. I'd like to cut out the reverse of my existing 3d geometry as a cavity but need some help. I'm using X2. Thanks, Shepard

is it a solid model? if you use solid some times as easy as Boolan remove.
    Can you share the file?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I appreciate your help but unfortunately I can't publish the part. When attempting Boolean remove MC asked me to select the target body. I picked the part and it gave no furhter prompt. Any chance you have one of those great video clips on this topic?

Starters is your part a solid? then did you create a block to cut into when you do a Boolean remove.
    Can you share a picture so I can see the basic shape.
    And Yes I can do a video on this option. but can do it till wed as I am swamped.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

how about a simple part like this one? I need to machine this (or something similar) as a female pocket in a block of aluminum for use as a mold for little hand soaps

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/img/misc/Part3.SLDPRT

Here is an example with your file.
    this will take a min or two download.

http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/bool...lanremove.html

See if this helps.
    Cadcam

thanks thats it exactly, The movie file sure helps. Is there audio present?

Sorry when I whip them out in the AM before I leave for the office I don't put the headset on and do audio.
    I do think later I will be redoing that one example with a diffrent part and add audio.
    Cadcam

Perfect! Thank you very much! Those movies are great.

I Agree ! Great learning resource. Thank's. Harold

Do you folks like that I go thru the motions that I take on parts like that . Example bringing in the file and setting up to work on it.I know i could just had the part there with a block and Boolan removed and that would of been to the point of how to do it.
    but this is how I handle my parts. there are always different ways and mine are not the only ones or always the best.
    But I know my students like to see how I do things beside just were is every thing and what they do. But real applications. I program all most days a week for years and I like to share.

Thanks for the thoughts and reading my ramble.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Do you folks like that I go thru the motions that I take on parts like that . Example bringing in the file and setting up to work on it.I know i could just had the part there with a block and Boolan removed and that would of been to the point of how to do it.
    but this is how I handle my parts. there are always different ways and mine are not the only ones or always the best.
    But I know my students like to see how I do things beside just were is every thing and what they do. But real applications. I program all most days a week for years and I like to share.

Thanks for the thoughts and reading my ramble.
    Well, your goal is to get users up and running. With that said, it is up to the users to expand their knowledge in the future. There are a million and one ways to skin a cat sort of speak. With CAD/CAM the only limit is how far one is willing to go.

Your a credit to the Industry cadcam:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I appreciate seeing the procedure from the very beginning. There is never any telling what seemingly small step will be a stumbling block to a beginner such as myself. Thanks again for the help.

I think it is awesome! With no audio, it is hard to know what you are thinking. But, if I watch it enough, I can see the motions and duplicate them.

Audio would be cool....but I am greatful for what you provide.

I agree audio would help grasp it a little quicker , I like the detailed step by step , makes it very easy to grasp. Much thanks