587,840 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Master Machinist / Shop Foreman

I am rerunning this add. We found a guy, but he did not work out. Wanted to be clear that we are a small shop and even the owner (me) still works with his tools. So, this is a position that will require hands on skills. We are growing and have almost 18 months of work backlog. Eventually the position will be pure management, but for the first 6 to 9 months, it will be management and production. We are also adding a CNC gear shaper to equipment, so gear work and tooling/fixturing experience is a plus.

The original ad:

Small shop, (less than 10 people now). Lots of work and are growing with contracts for the next 2 years. Quality and precision are important to us.

We do four kinds of work.

1) Design and build our own product, and provide services for this product line
    2) Build special fixtures, gauges, and molds
    3) Design and build special application machine tools
    4) Job shop work / short to medium run

We have MasterCAM X (would be great if you were a great 3D MasterCam guy) and AutoCAD/Inventor

We have a Haas VF4, Haas TL3, and 2 Daewoo Puma 2500 LSY/SY (live tooling and subspindle)

We are adding new tools.

We also have a variety of manual machines, Blanchard, Lathes, Mills, ect.

Looking for someone to oversee programming, and day to day shop operations. Need a "go getter" that can get the job done.

Average age of guys on the floor is 25 year old. Smart young guys with CAM, CNC experience, and great attitudes. They lack the senior experience and metrology background, and I need someone to mentor them and run the shop. I do the mentoring now, but need to be freed up to grow the business.

75K salary, profit sharing (which if things keep going like I plan, compensation would be 6 figures in your second year.) Right person could also qualify for stock options (ownership) if they were proactive in helping to grow the company. Benefits include medical insurance, paid hoildays and vacation (duh?), we are currently starting a 401K and hope to match a % of funds in the near future.

Need someone from the top 2% out there. A do it all person, and I am willing to make sure you make great money, if you can do the job.

If interested, post here, or send a resume to [email protected]

Location ?

Sorry, had it in the first post. Jacksonville, Florida is the location.

Currently I oversee 8 guys in a working leadman possition. I design fixtures, program using MasterCAM 9 for 8 Mazaks (6 horizontals and 2 verticals). I quote new jobs. Routing of most machining center work is handled by myself, as is all of the scheduling of work. I've got about 23+ years exp. as a machinist including working as a boring bar opperator for 3 yrs. and as a full time programmer for 5 yrs. I enjoy the hands on aspects of my current job but would be interested in a more managment orientated possition. The only downside I see is that your company is located in Florida and I live on the Wisconsin / Illinois border. Will run it by the wife and see what her reaction might be, ya never know.
    A.J.L.

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549 View Post
    Currently I oversee 8 guys in a working leadman possition. I design fixtures, program using MasterCAM 9 for 8 Mazaks (6 horizontals and 2 verticals). I quote new jobs. Routing of most machining center work is handled by myself, as is all of the scheduling of work. I've got about 23+ years exp. as a machinist including working as a boring bar opperator for 3 yrs. and as a full time programmer for 5 yrs. I enjoy the hands on aspects of my current job but would be interested in a more managment orientated possition. The only downside I see is that your company is located in Florida and I live on the Wisconsin / Illinois border. Will run it by the wife and see what her reaction might be, ya never know.
    Tell her about the job in Florida on the first day in Jan. when the wind chill is 20 degrees below zero

That could very well be the actual temp. in January around here, without that windchill modifier.
    DZASTR

Would you pay for the move.

Quote Originally Posted by STS_John View Post
    Tell her about the job in Florida on the first day in Jan. when the wind chill is 20 degrees below zero
    She hates the cold, won't do anything out side in the winter and for being a Packer fan you'd think she be more tolerent of the cold. :wee:
    A.J.L.

Quote Originally Posted by fannin_t View Post
    Would you pay for the move.

We will reimburse for the move after 6 months. You have to prove you can do the job first.

I just paid over $5,000.00 to move a man here. He could not do the work, and quit after 3 weeks. So my unfortunate experience with him has taught me that I need to have the candidate prove his or hers abilities, then we will reimburse reasonable, documented moving costs.

did you get my pm? i am very interested and would like to know more.

bump

My name is raaj and i have got 8 years experience in CNC machining,CAM programming,have experience in tool room applications,Metrology and in modern manufacuring techniques in CNC.
    At present iam working in chennai, india. if my present location is not a constraint i can relocate.