587,481 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > mastercam for solidworks work on x64 ?
Page 1 of 2 12

mastercam for solidworks work on x64 ?

Anyone using mcam for sw on a 64 bit machine? Does it work? SW I'd assume would be in 64 bit mode, while mcam is still x32?

I am reading people are doing it. But isn't Mastercam 2005 still a 16 bit application? 32 colors?

John

It will work with X5.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

We are running Mastercam X4 here at school with Win 7 X64. Mostly it works. Does not work when you run option to transfer file via serial port to CNC machine as Mastercam uses 16-bit DLL.

Exclamation

I have MC for SW with Windows 7 32 bit---I was advised by MC that it won't run on 64 bit.

System requirements for MasterCam for SolidWorks are listed at Mastercam For SolidWorks X3

This basically says this only works on 32-bit systems.

MasterCam itself works on both 32- and 64-bit Windows with some exceptions.

I have it running on a windows 7 64 bit machine. Its running in compatibly mode to make it work tho.

not meaning to hijack the thread, but what kind of prices would someone be looking at for MCam for SW? Just want a rough estimate for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by mafitch7479 View Post
    not meaning to hijack the thread, but what kind of prices would someone be looking at for MCam for SW? Just want a rough estimate for reference.
    Back when it came out the and if memory is correct it was close to $20,000.

Take look at SolidCam, their software is certified by Dassault. I had a demo a while back and it is the ONLY CAM software that impressed me.

I have been scanning the forums trying to find all the negatives about SolidCam before buying it in an effort to avoid the dry corn cob that shipped with X3

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    Back when it came out the and if memory is correct it was close to $20,000.

Take look at SolidCam, their software is certified by Dassault. I had a demo a while back and it is the ONLY CAM software that impressed me.

I have been scanning the forums trying to find all the negatives about SolidCam before buying it in an effort to avoid the dry corn cob that shipped with X3
    ouch, I'm thinking that might be a year or two down the line :P

Now, we've already got MCam X5, and probably getting a router seat in the next few weeks as well since we've got a router coming. Is that estimate for just the SW add-in, or for the whole package? Not that it matters, since I don't plan on getting it anytime soon, but I'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by mafitch7479 View Post
    ouch, I'm thinking that might be a year or two down the line :P

Now, we've already got MCam X5, and probably getting a router seat in the next few weeks as well since we've got a router coming. Is that estimate for just the SW add-in, or for the whole package? Not that it matters, since I don't plan on getting it anytime soon, but I'm curious
    I have slept few times since they quoted us and this was back when the magazines were running the advertising and the reps did not have clue, its seems it was $20,000 on top of our level 3 mill, lathe, solids package.

Why do you need the router seat, is it for the nesting?. If that is the case just do your nesting in SW and save the sketch in .dxf version 12 then import to MC, use the box select to grab all the geometry and let it rip,assuming that your doing a profile job. The mill package also has tabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    I have slept few times since they quoted us and this was back when the magazines were running the advertising and the reps did not have clue, its seems it was $20,000 on top of our level 3 mill, lathe, solids package.

Why do you need the router seat, is it for the nesting?. If that is the case just do your nesting in SW and save the sketch in .dxf version 12 then import to MC, use the box select to grab all the geometry and let it rip,assuming that your doing a profile job. The mill package also has tabbing.
    to be honest, I wasn't sure that the mill package would communicate with the router (post processor?). I've never used a cnc router, so it'll be a whole new thing for everyone here.

My experience with MCam is pretty limited, mostly because I haven't had the chance to experiment with everything due to our machinist being a little "old fashioned". The vast majority of what we do is using simple lines to select chains for machining, rather than anything dealing with surfaces. I'd like to change that, since it'd make my job a bit easier, but he's pretty stubborn.

With the router, probably 90% of what we'll be doing is cutting profiles. There'll likely be some surface work involving vacuum-forming molds and other prototypes.

You will be fine with MC mill, if you are using a Haas router the Haas VMC post will work. If your router takes Fanuc or Yasnac G code use the generic post and find some to help tweak it for your machine. MC is perfect for just doing simple things, spending the money on a SW version or even changing to another vendor would be a waist of money. If you need a more robust platform for complicated 3D work start shopping around.

Be careful what you add to your Mastercam seat. Understand that if you add it to your existing seat you will not be able to remove it without paying more again. Say you want to go to X6 (or 2006 as it should be called) for mill but see no real improvements in any other products on that seat (which is most likely the case) you will be forced to upgrade all of them or none.

Get out while you can. Look for a better router option so it won't cause tears on the future.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJW View Post
    Be careful what you add to your Mastercam seat. Understand that if you add it to your existing seat you will not be able to remove it without paying more again. Say you want to go to X6 (or 2006 as it should be called) for mill but see no real improvements in any other products on that seat (which is most likely the case) you will be forced to upgrade all of them or none.

Get out while you can. Look for a better router option so it won't cause tears on the future.

John
    haha, believe me, I'd like to get rid of MCam altogether and find something more efficient. Unfortunately, it's not my call, and I think they have maintenance through the next 3 years or something.

I guess we'll see what happens

John
    MC is good for routing, its pretty simple geometry you don't need to hunt for an check box somewhere to actually get something accomplished. It does get annoying when you have to restart the program so you can see the geometry highlight, alot of times just scroll the mouse after clicking and the color will change...........

The upgrade deal is a pile of nonsense, at the time I might have upgraded to X4 if they would have only upgraded mill level 3. Solids is useless for professional daily use, I am shocked they even charge customers for it. I don't need the lathe upgraded because most of our lathe work now can be done from the front panel of our Haas and is only used for in house work.

A really good and simple to use router specific program is written by Vectric. You can download a trial version at their site vextric.com

Quote Originally Posted by SS Customs View Post
    I have it running on a windows 7 64 bit machine. Its running in compatibly mode to make it work tho.
    I run 3 programing boxs running Win7 64bit and no modes made to make it run. I run in full Win7 mode and it runs better then XP.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I am reading people are doing it. But isn't Mastercam 2005 still a 16 bit application? 32 colors?

John
    John come on you know this not true.
    But it is true it's not running in 64 bit.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by peterrhode View Post
    We are running Mastercam X4 here at school with Win 7 X64. Mostly it works. Does not work when you run option to transfer file via serial port to CNC machine as Mastercam uses 16-bit DLL.
    You are doing some thing wrong as it will communicate with the CNC. I run 64 bit win and MC and can send from my laptop no issues.
    What are using to send MC communications or the Cimco editor?
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by Flankmanoman View Post
    I have MC for SW with Windows 7 32 bit---I was advised by MC that it won't run on 64 bit.
    You are correct for the X3 and X4 releases. I am running the X5 soon to be released in that was released for 64 bit.
    Cadcam

Page 1 of 2 12