588,510 active members*
4,846 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mechanized cutting with PowerMax30

I was wondering if someone who is using the Powermax30 for mechanized cutting can share the relevant information (connection points for "arc voltage", "ready", a way to get "ark ok" and defeating the safety mechanism in the torch. I have the unit and I'd like to use it on CNC table.

Thank you.

I took a picture for just this purpose . Real simple. Connected it to one of the relays on the BOB, setup this relay in MACH3 as the spindle, and it works like a charm. Wire the two leads labeled 'Torch Start' to your relay. You don't have to do anything with the torch itself, it's trigger still works.

We haven't got around to trying to tap off for voltage; arc good, ect. yet. I would be interested to know if anyone else has...

Paul

Arc voltage is simple to find in any plasma system. Trace the work lead back to its connection in the power supply....this is positive. Trace the connection from the torch electrode back to its connection in the power supply...this is negative.

The Powermax30 does not have an arc transfer signal (some call it "arc good") as it was never designed to be used in mechanized applications. There are quite a few being used in mechanized applications, and the system seems to work well on thin cutting....I would be concerned with exceeding duty cycle on materials much over 3/16".

Jim Colt

Thank you Jim. I found out that an "arc good" can be obtained with a current transformer. So once my THC board is arriving, I should be all set to go. Can't wait.

I will be cutting mostly 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 sheets and there is no reason for me not to allow the machine to "rest" between cuts as my production is quite low, at least for now.