588,445 active members*
4,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile MELTDOWN SOLVED

Well its been a long road but I finally found the problem I was having. If you have read some of the old threads , I was having a issue with machine just shutting down at any given time . It wouldn't do it same place twice , sometimes just idle. It would kick out , The drive enable contactor would shut down.
    I could hit the re-set and maybe go along for a few minutes and it would kick out again. The fault would say , emergency stop,hit re-set to continue .

If I kept at it ,it would finally kick out and wouldn't let me re-set .
    So I was in touch with Dynapath Systems , Paul is a good guy , along with Glen the repair guy. But , after sending the rack to them , they replace the startup chip and re-program my parameters . It would kick out as soon as I started up.

The guys at Dynapath would give me good advice , but couldn't apply it . They know the controller is a Delta 20 , The machine is a 325 Journeyman. They would say the power to the e-stop goes to J1 -pin 9 . I would pull the plug look for pin 9 and no pin . I have 3 &4 but no 9.

I had x-tra Aux cards and Pic cards , newer version, and was told that would solve the problem, had to swap the parameter chip from the old to the new on both the Aux and Pic card . easy enough, they just pop in and out. Put them in and machine came up, worked like a champ ,right up to the point where I try to REF home .

The wrong parameters were coming up and couldn't get it to change. Damm it again , Back to Dynapath. # weeks later and loosing few customers rack was back. They said it is like A Cadillac . Hooked everything up got to REF home this time, went to set some tools and it kicks out . I really don't know how I stayed so calm at this point but basically after all this time and effort I was really ready to set this thing on fire and put it out of it's misery .

I shut the whole system down . all the way to the last disconnect. And started again, this time I opened the side cabinet to see if I had any red lights on the boards and they were all green. So I powered up the controller side and it re-set , and kicked out. Cabinet still open i hit reset, and shook the cable wires and found it.

Those guys at Dynapath are pretty good. It was plug J1 all right but the housing was loose. The plug was in tight with the 2 screws but because the outside plastic housing was cracked it would cause the 2 pins i do have to vibrate enough to send my wonderful machine into e-stop land. It would short out . Well 1st thing I did was get out the Duct Tape .

Those guys at Dynspath did a Great job on there end . Wish they could of heard of things like this happening before though.Could of saved me alot of money. 2 cents worth of Duct tape and They were right ,it does run like a Cadillac now. Sure glad I didn't burn it.

Tony
    A & M Machine
    Middletown DE

Congrats on figuring it out!
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)